SEC down in 05?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I concur, especially when you consider the fashion in which that bowl game was won. They're a hail mary/two missed calls on that hair mary away from potentially starting the year outside of the top 10. I know that their defense was the key to much of their sucess. And losing nearly the entire d-line will definitely hurt them. Couple that with their very one-dimensional offense, and I'd say that preseason top 3 is out of control.

2. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Well said.......

3. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

I agree 100%. Georgia may not sneak up on folks because of the attention their opener is getting. The SEC haters in the media can't wait to see Boise State run amock between "the bushes" (thank you, Cholly Mac). I think their QB situation isn't as dire as its made out to be. In fact, after Leake, they may have the best QB in the east. DJ suffered from Greene-itis over his shoulder the past two years. They have the running backs and O-line in place and their defense should just plunder everything in their way. A win over BSU and then beating Superior and his chickens the following week, have Uga sitting very pretty for payback in Knoxville.

I don't anyone stopping an LSU-Georgia title game.

4. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

It seems every year that a team that is not supposed to do anything is in fact the one that wins the SEC if not NC

5. cadillacattack

UGA’s strengths lie in it’s O-line and its defensive front 7. Even if you assume that Shockley can pass it downfield, who has he got as a wide receiver? TE Pope is about it……. That D front 7 has taken a major hit lately in the depth department too. The Dawgs are down to 6 linebackers after losing a couple last week.

That’s still good, but maybe not good enough against some of the top offenses they will face. Doubtful that any SEC team makes it through a season without getting nicked-up at the LB position.

Don’t get me wrong, their starting group is good – better than most – but IMO, the Dawgs aren’t as close to UT as they were a few weeks ago, and UF just got a whole lot closer to UGA in terms of competing for the East title. That’s life in the SEC.

6. MarineTiger

IMO, UGA's WR this year are about as proven and good as Auburn's WR last year.

3 yards seperated Auburn and Arkansas in 2003 as the worst passing offense in the SEC.

7. cadillacattack

Huh??? What does AU and Arky in '03 have to do with AU's WR's in '04?
    And I beg to differ. AU's receiver group was far more experienced and talented than anything you'll see in Athen this season.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

While Iowa does have to replace their d-line they do get most of their offense back including the RB's who were hurt last year as well as what some call the best group of LB's behind Ohio St. I expect the Hawkeyes to be very good.

9. MarineTiger

Very easily Auburn's WR in 2003 did jack **** yet produced nicely in 2004.

The WR's at UGA have done the same thing coming into this year yet could produce. Fred Gibson produced as a freshman and IMO a freshman producing at WR is quite common in the National Scene today.

10. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Whoa, now we're answering ourselves are we? :wink: