SEC Expansion?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUFAN910, May 20, 2012.

1. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Virginia Tech is not very close to DC but they have a huge following in that area.

I know they'll never break UNC-Duke, but imagine a new rivalry of UNC-Kentucky. That game did big business last year and went down to the wire with the Anthony Davis block on Henson. UNC would completely settle a desire to bring more relevance to SEC basketball outside of the bluegrass state, although I think Missouri will pay major dividends in that regard as well. As far as fans and TV, nothing against the other 3 majors, but the conversation in North Carolina starts and ends with the Tar Heels. NC State brings a market but very little in actual viewership.

Va. Tech and NC State is probably the most likely, but it might be best to wait and see what happens with Florida State and the Big 12.

Even though Louisville is in Kentucky, they do big business in Ohio and Indiana. They do pretty well in football and great in basketball. Might not be a bad option. Keeps us from raping one conference again like last year.

Truthfully, I'd rather stay at 14 and see how it works first.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Aye.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Me too. I was happy with 12, the more teams we have in the sec the harder it will be to win the west and the overall championship.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Also, when a 16-team SEC splits into four divisions, we will end up with SWC/Big-12 rejects Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Mizzou in the West Division with absolutely none of our traditional SEC opponents.

Zackardo and stevescookin like this.
  5. cul2969

cul2969 Founding Member

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I don't like that set-up, but further expansion seems to be a given, as it looks like we'll eventually be in a system where major college football has 4 conferences. To be considered for contention for the NC, one would have to be in one of the 4. The SEC is being proactive, but pretty soon, the SEC won't feel like the SEC anymore.

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Well when we get to that point, we can always invite Tulane to re enter the SEC so it fells like the good old days. :cool:

8. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

You think?

I actually can see a four-team division including LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas and A&M. That keeps two traditional rivalries alive. But, yes, that would be two SWC rejects. On the other hand, for LSU, it rekindles the A&M rivalry and keeps the Battle for the Boot alive, for better or worse.

Put Mizzou, Moo U, Vandy and Kentucky in a division; AMAB, the Barn, UT and the Gay-tors in another; with UGA and USCe along with the two newbies in the fourth. MIght have to switch the Gay-tors and USCe or a newbie to keep the Cocktail Party alive

9. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

My two uncles would love and hate that, one an LSU grad and one a Tulane grad.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

How you're kidding about putting Mizzou, Vandy, Uk and MSU in one division. That would be giving an undeserving team a ticket to the playoff many years.