SEC & instant replay

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by diamondheadtiger, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Stats from www.bigten.org
    During the 2004 campaign, play was stopped in only 28 of 57 contests (49 percent) for a total of 43 stoppages and 21 overturned calls (49 percent of stoppages). These numbers compared favorably to the Big Ten's instant replay pilot program, as the data collected in 2003 showed that play would have been stopped in 31 of 68 games (46 percent) for a total of 45 stoppages and 23 overturned calls (51 percent of stoppages). In addition, the use of instant replay did not significantly affect game times as the length of the 57 games utilizing instant replay in 2004 was only three hours and 16 minutes, compared to three hours and 13 minutes in all 2003 contests. Less than one stoppage occurred per game in 2004, as the Big Ten's average length of review was only two minutes and 39 seconds, compared to the National Football League average of three minutes and 20 seconds for its instant replay system.

It wasn't that big of a deal, hardly noticed by the fans... and it did have a direct impact on the outcome of four Big Ten games. Try it, you'll like it!

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Well I have to try it . But since you brought up ONE of the things I don't like about IR is not so much the time it takes to review but sometimes when the stopage occurs.

I wonder if the last play of a game we both know about should have been reveiwed. Oh rats that was a no call. :) :thumb:

See ya in Pasadena. :cool: Good luck this year. I'll check see how many games ya guys have on Nat tv

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

National TV? Iowa? I wish... they ought to give Hawkeye fans volume discounts on buying ESPN Gameplan.
    We've been getting some press lately, which has put us in shock. We kinda liked the "slow plowboy" thing.

Ah, the price of a little success. Trust me, if Tate hadn't pulled off that play, Dodd would have us ranked 17th in his one voter poll.

4. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I applaud it.

I would rather LSU get screwed on the truth then a phantom call.