SEC: LSU Should Have Attempted PAT

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Herb, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

you mean like Saban did after the bluegrass miracle?

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

nevermind, the TD put us up 3
    was going from memory, and thought i remembered us kicking the PAT

3. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Not won on a touchdown. It would've been a tie and overtime. You can only get 2 pts. on a PAT block and return.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Dooley screwed up for the second time by sending his team to the lockers, they essentially forfeited the game.

They had one more shot, a long shot albeit, but a shot to score and send the game to overtime.

And they didn't even try to take it. Dooley blew it.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

third time. the timeout he took with less than a minute left helped us. it gave our offense time to regroup after being rushed because of no timeouts left. the 13 men was the second mistake.

1 person likes this.
  6. roynav

roynav free your mind

But Les was on the ball enough to have his team back out for the PAT attempt despite the chaos. So the haters will have to concede Les can at least walk upright.

7. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

I think we probably would have tried the PAT and made it.

But yeah, Dooley forfeited his team's last play. That whole episode looks bad on him. Storming off the field indignantly and walking away from Miles when it was his team that made the mistake, not the officials.

Our coach is pretty senseless, but at least he's not spineless.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Doesn't matter. By rule, if the score is close enough at the expiration of time for the game to be impacted by any sort of result from the try, you must attempt the try. Tennessee had a chance (albeit one in a million) to block the PAT attempt and return it for two, tying the game and forcing overtime.

I'm kinda surprised the officials didn't just whistle the play in and LSU would run the try unopposed. I swear I once saw that in a college game one time, where one team scored last minute on a controversial play to go up by one, and the other team walked off the field in disgust/protest, and the other team just ran it in for two without the other team being on the field. It's partly on the officials, but it's mostly Dooley's fault.

This has already happened in one game earlier this season (East Carolina/Tulsa in Week 1 I believe). I look for this to be a "point of emphasis" for officials to stress to coaches next season.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

When Tenn's coach storms off the field, I do not think it really matters much at that point..

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It was kind of nice watching Dooley do his best Guy Morriss impersonation. :wave: