SEC Odd Man Out for a few Years?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Dec 8, 2004.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

Auburn was already told, "Thanks for playing, but you aren't good enough." Regardless of how you feel about Auburn being left out, think about the next few years...

Think about it…

The Pac-10 and Big 12 have essentially become 2-team conferences. I have lots of doubts about anyone legitimately challenging these teams in the foreseeable future. Therefore, we could be looking at the OU / Texas winner vs. the USC / Cal winner for the next few years in the BCS Championship Game…

Pac-10: Stanford, Arizona, and Washington have new coaches. BYU (plays several Pac-10 teams) and Notre Dame (a USC opponent) will have new coaches. Oregon State will lose several key players. UCLA, Oregon, Washington State, Stanford, Arizona, and Washington had a combined record of 18-42 this year. YES, THE BOTTOM 6 OF THE CONFERENCE HAD A RECORD OF 18-42 THIS YEAR. USC and Cal won more games (22) than the bottom 6 (18). I have no idea how this stacks up nationally, but for the sake of my argument this leaves little hope for parity in the Pac-10…

Big-12: Top to bottom, the Big 12 has far better competition than the Pac-10. However, it appears as though the OU / Texas game is the deciding factor for the next few years. aTm, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech are making some noise, but they are not quite OU and Texas killers just yet. The Big 12 North Division was 32-36 on the year. Iowa State and Kansas are not good football programs and, IMO, Kansas State and Nebraska have a ton of work to do in the next few years to catch OU and Texas (both continue to recruit well, but they need time). At least the Big 12 has a CCG, but with the lack of decent teams in the North Division right now, that is little consolation…

SEC: First off, Auburn went undefeated and that wasn’t enough. Welcome, Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer to programs already going to Bowl Games this year (SC has passed on their bowl bid, but they were eligible). The SEC West was 38-28 on the year (they were 35-20 if you leave out Miss State). The SEC East was 35-31 on the year. 4 SEC teams won 9 games or more this year. The Top 4 teams in the SEC (Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, and Georgia) are very healthy right now in terms of the overall condition of the programs. South Carolina and Florida welcome two very highly touted coaches onto campus and Arkansas and Alabama will be much improved a year from now.

So, we (the SEC) could be competing each and every year for one spot in the Sugar Bowl. I’m not afraid of competition and I wouldn’t have the SEC any other way. But, a peek ahead reveals an upward climb for the SEC in terms of chasing that crystal trophy. OU, Texas, Cal, and USC are now in a 4-way battle for 2 highly coveted spots in college football. Let the jockeying for preseason favor begin…

2. conradj

conradj Founding Member

true.......good post

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I mostly agree with your analysis (add Butch Davis possibly going to Ole Miss and the SEC gets even tougher) but with a single exception: non-conference games.

For the most part, SEC teams play flat-out pu**y-ish schedules. No reason, none at all, for a Div 1-AA team to be on a good SEC team's schedule.

Furthermore, those few non-conf games in recent seasons in which SEC teams took on decent competition didn't turn out all that well: ND over Tenn, Oregon St. nearly shocks LSU, Alabama loses to N. Illinois and Hawaii, Auburn gets hammered by USC...so on and so forth.

Basically, the SEC needs to schedule more respectable non-conf opponents and beat them consistently.

It's not fair, but who said life was fair?

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

That and the love of notre Dame is pretty much what kept the SEC from winning a lot more championships over the years, so you are correct. However, as top heavy as those other conferences are now it's not quite as bad as it was many years ago when USC was pretty much the only good, consistent program in the PAC 12, with Washington being fairly good; Michigan and Ohio St were definitely the only consistent programs in the Big 10, Texas and Arkansas were the only consistently good programs in the SWC, Nebraska and OU were the only consistently good teams in the Big 8 and than you had a few indies that were likely to go undefeated such as Notre Dame, FSU and Miami.

At least now in the Big 10 Iowa and Wisconson have become pretty consistent programs, in the Big 12 we would be better off if Texas and OU were in different conferences but aTm and OSU could actually step up and beat both of those teams in some years. And K St will be back soon I think, Snyder runs too good of a program for them to stay down a long time. Will Nebraska come back back soon, I'm not too sure but Callahan is getting some big recruits.

As just think, at least the PAC 10 has Cal now as a consitently good program it appears. Washington was really the only winning porogram in the PAC 10 for many years other than USC. I have to believe that with the emphasis on football most schools have now that some of the other programs like OSU or Oregon will step up and get good. UCLA should be great every year but that program has been amzingly inconsistent and never has been established lie it should have except for a few years under Donohue. But right now the Pac 10 is the one that more closely resembles the old days.

And the ACC should beat each up pretty much I think. With at least 3 good teams and a few good programs I really believe you will see a few years like the one this season in the ACC. Plus the CG will be another opportunity for one of them to lose if they are undefeated, same with the Big 12.

5. BB

BB Founding Member

The numbers don't lie.

USC playing BYU, Notre Dame, Colorado State, and Virginia Tech doesn't change a damn thing...

Cal playing Air Force, New Mexico State, and Southern Miss doesn't change a damn thing...

OU playing Bowling Green, Houston, and Oregon doesn't change a damn thing...

Auburn playing ULM, LaTech, and The Citadel doesn't change a damn thing...

SOS is out. The numbers do not lie - the only reason the Pac-10 schedules better OOC is because they are forced to due to the pitiful conference they play in - we've been through this a million times...

My point is that we may not ever get in the next few years under the current system and with the state of things in the Big 12 and Pac-10. Why on earth would we go scheduling tougher OOC games when we can't get through the door today?

6. MissouriHawk

MissouriHawk Freshman

Admittedly...a little biased...

But aren't you counting out the Big 10? Granted, we're not the strongest conference in the nation, but I will argue that we're better than the Pac 10. Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State (a down year, they'll be back), Wisconsin are all teams that have young players and a chance to be national powerhouses in the coming years. Some in Iowa are speaking in hushed tones of hopes for a national title in the next 2-3 years (we're the eternal optimists :) ) I'm not trying to take anything away from the SEC, Big 12 or even Pac 10 for that matter, I just think if you're going to discuss which confrence has the best chance to produce national titles in the next few years, the Big 10 should be a major player in it.

Kirk Ferentz for President

7. aztiger

aztiger Missing Crawfish & LSU

Sorry, it's only a three team race. Cal will start their decline next year and will continue in that direction. UCLA, will get better as will Arizona, Washington, and Stanford, but none will compete with USC for a while. That being said, USC could easily drop off and have 2 to 3 losses easily next year. They have been lucky to have two very good QB's back to back, three in a row would be a miracle. Also, there success will hurt them and they will start to lose assistant coaches.
    The Big 12 North is a huge problem. No balance in that conference at all which is why Stoops has not left, it is an easy shot at a title each year.

8. BB

BB Founding Member

I'm not leaving out the Big 10 by any means (or the ACC for that matter). My point was aimed at SEC faithful because these are LSU fans. Same applies for Iowa and the Big 10: get in line and hope the Pac-10 Duo and the Big 12 Duo slip and fall because it looks like the top 2 spots are theirs for the taking...

OU, Texas, Cal, and USC control their own destiny in the coming year (at least - maybe several years). Everyone else's fate will be dicided by them. If you think it through, it will make you angry!

9. BigMamou

BigMamou Founding Member

BB Mind if I post his on another site?

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

excellent post! so very true....