SEC recruiting battle

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Bengal Buddy, Mar 31, 2008.

1. K_Jay

K_Jay Founding Member

so you don't think Louisiana players were underated this past signing class? It hurts my opionion also, because I'm not buying it.

1 person likes this.
  2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

they were. so were lots of other states. rivals doesn't have the resources that google has...they just arent a huge company. most of their preliminary info comes from the respective rivals sites from that area to send them tapes. louisiana is also responsible for the ratings. if players want their video to get out they need to get their coaches and local rivals sites on it. truth is, alabama sites and fans dont think about lsu as much as they think. and that isnt an opinion, it just happens to be what i do. and what i do happens to be along side the rivals guys. ive mentioned it a thousand times but no matter what cparso and others wont change their minds, and i could care less...as could rivals. as a matter of fact they literally laugh at it daily and probably wish they had that power, but they dont. to me the everyone ignores louisiana complaints are as annoying and childish as the complaining about refs and espn hating people.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

The more it goes, the less either's "Rankings" mean to me. I love to get the five star players cause of the circus both services have successfully created but at the end of the day, I know very well there are many 3 and 4 star players who could turn out to be "Shoulda been 5."

They are about selling subscriptions and probably affects rankings more than we realize. Outside of the receiving program, the overall interest in blue-chippers drops after they give a verbal, so, for example, I'd bet M. Ford committing early would make it harder for him to get a five star ranking when Rivals would prefer using one of the limited 5 star slots on a kid who's not committed- generating interest; hence, making the information Rivals/Scout provides more appealing.

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Oh. Thank you. Im sure your selective memory didnt hear the part of that conversation where he says he has no contact with Mike Farrell about rankings and they all do that on their own. But Im sure you doubt that.
    Because Rivals sent the Amp team and people up to the U-A game to watch them for a week. They said he was the least impressive there. Whether you agree with that is your opinion, but that is their's. Im pretty sure Bowers jumped Julio Jones that week. How do you think that falls into the ultimate recruiting scheme? This really is a dumb debate.

Other than the fact I know they aren't rigged, common sense should tell you they wouldn't do to that to their company even if they wanted to because they want to make money.

5. FrankA

FrankA Founding Member

And, of course, that has no affect on the opinion that you are stating here.
    In reality, most everything here is opinion or affected by opinion. The disturbing thing here is that you seem to think that it is only your opinion that has cachet, since-of course- it reflects TRUTH.
    My opinion is that you would do well to lighten up. You'll sleep better. I enjoy your posts but, sometimes, you do seem to get carried away.:milesmic:

6. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Absolutely not. I dont work for Rivals, and I could care less what happens to them.
    :huh: No, you think that I am thinking that it is better, which isnt the case. Everyone is entitled to their opinions...a couple of them should put personal views aside and look at the larger picture. It is hard for me to judge someone I dont know, or have never met. Again, it is fun discussion for me -- maybe life and death to others. I am not sure.
    If you think that I really care that much, or really any at all then my typing didnt translate well. To be honest, I generally forget every post I have made after a 30 seconds. The only thing that would ever really upset me is people that take the internet seriously, because I realize no matter what I or you say people arent going to change their opinions, or at least rarely. But not getting into a fun discussion would really make the day go by a lot longer and this site a lot more boring.:)

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

What the hell does that mean????????? Did you mean to say good?

And I didn't even say Scout was better, just that they are very, very similar in most cases, even though as a previous poster has noted Rivals admitted not covering LA very well. But overall, if you look at the player ratings most of them are rated very similar on the sites. Both have misses.

Anyway, I belong to both scout and Rivals and IMO scout is more accurate, gets more stories on LSU recruits due to TigerSportsDigest being twice as informative as Tigerbait now and Sonny is much more honest, dependable and less prone to bias than Mike S. And Mike S can be a real jackass at times. My subscription to Rivals is about to run out and I won't renew it. Not because of scout being better but due to Tigersportsdigest being much better and informative.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Yes, I apologize. I dont proofread very often. :grin:

Completely agree.

Im not defending Rivals and their rankings, as everyone makes mistakes. I was just simply stating based on the information I have that Rivals.com doesn't deliberately adjust rankings for one team or the other. I would imagine the mix of selling subscriptions and have integrity with rankings is somewhere in the middle.

edit: went back and read my posts and i did an awful job of saying what i could in the three sentences above.

9. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

What is the obsession with Rivals rankings and bama? Isn't the actual recruiting battle about the recruits themselves? Are these sites for the fans or the coaches? Do you think we are getting short changed on players? Does our performance reflect that?

I don't personally feel that rivals is obsessed with dropping La players, but I do regard them as incompetent. Considering we don't seem to be accurately ranked, but every year the media trumpets that we have more talent than anyone, I would attribute it too just pure laziness, incompetence, inability, or maybe our high school players/coaches don't do a great job of promoting their kids, or a little bit of all of that.

All that aside, why in Hell do people get worked up about it? Maybe our coaches need to start their own website and release their own player rankings in order to make all the fans feel better and hey, maybe make some more $ for the school.

At the end of the day, I don't think we get the 25 best players in the country, but I feel there are a lot more than just 25 great players/year. More like 500/year at the minimum. Our coaches don't seem to be settling and if they are happy with the clay they get to work with, shouldn't we be as well? Seems like Les, the coaches, the players, and the fans are laughing all the way to the bank(BCS).

If Rivals continues to inaccurately evaluate our home players, than I imagine they will lose $ until they change their efforts, or all Louisiana people just stop subscribing. Vote with you $$ - and relax.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

The best one was last year when a OG recruited by Bama was moved to Center for one all-star game. He never played the position before in his life and was ranked the #1 center prospect in the nation. I remember the kid was a pretty surprised by the adjustment to his ranking at the wrong position.:lol: