SEC Refs miss Mount Cody taking his helmet off

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Oct 24, 2009.

1. col reb

col reb Founding Member

I think the announcers commented about time on the clock still. They didn't miss it,,,,,,,,they ignored it. When he blocked the first fg, he came off the field beating his chest etc. I thought the penalty was for doing something that brings attention to yourself???????????? He showed his butt much more than either LSU or Georgia in their game.

2. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

To his defense, he's got a LOT more of it to show.... :hihi:

3. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I dont really see this as a big deal. The refs didnt steal anything from Tennessee.

4. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Had the usually penalty happy refs thrown a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct (as they seem so willing to do in other situations) then Tennessee would have gotten another untimed down from 15 yards closer and an opportunity to rekick a field goal in a game where they trailed by 2. If you don't see that as having anything taken from them, then I question your judgment.

Removal of the helmet on the field of play is not a judgment call, it must be called anytime a player voluntarily removes their helmet on the field of play. The ONLY exceptions I have seen is in the case of an injury or if a player is leaving the field and takes it off as they are approaching the sidelines before actually stepping out of bounds.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Front page of SI. From SEC spokesman Charles Bloom:

"The foul for taking helmet off is a live ball foul treated as a dead-ball foul," Bloom wrote in an e-mail Saturday night. "That is, if it happens on a play where time does not expire then the penalty is enforced on the following play. However since the clock ran out on that play, then there is no next play, so there is no penalty to mark off."

6. TigerBacker70

Did the ball ever cross the line of scrimmage? I don't think it did. I was wondering why no Tennessee player made any attempt to recover and run it in for a score. :confused: Everybody just watched Cody running around with his helmet off as the ball just kept rolling until a couple of 'Bama players ran over an covered it. Saban was yelling for his players to cover the ball so apparently he thought it didn't cross the line of scrimmage and was still a live ball.

7. TigerBacker70

I dont think a quarter, half, or game can end on a defensive penalty unless it's declined by the offense, can it? The offense receives one untimed down. Am I wrong on this?

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

From SI:

Because Alabama blocked and recovered the ball, Alabama had possession. The game can't end on a defensive penalty, but because of the possession change, Alabama wasn't on defense.

9. TigerBacker70

You are correct, the dead ball situation makes the Cody penalty/non penalty a moot point.
    What if Tennessee had recoverd the ball though? Hmm.......

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

If the foul occurred before bama recovered the ball bama was still on defense. Sorta like if the D jumps offside and then intercepts the ball. they don't get to keep the ball.

A period shall be extended until a down
    free from live-ball fouls not penalized as dead-ball fouls has been played

I may be missing it, if so, so be it, I just don't see how it could not be called.