SEC Rules Changes (and Saban Info)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

I kind of like the idea, it won't leave any room to guess who the call was on.
    (it will help to see if it is a bad call or not I would think)

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

No, idiot, I'm not "looking out for their feelings."<P>
    Since you're such a know it all, why haven't they been announcing the numbers before now? The NFL has done it for years.

All I was doing was speculating why.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Maybe if they had this rule last year we all would have understood the penalties vs LSU on the play before the 4th and 45 fake field goal in the Sugar Bowl. I still have no idea exactly what happened on that play and I watched it 2 nights ago about 10 times.

4. uscpuke

uscpuke Founding Member

Ohhh - I am an idiot. Good thing I am not thin skinned like those football players you are trying to protect! :thumb:

The reason they have not done it before is exactly what you wrote, to not single them out, i.e hurt their feelings.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings...it's all good! :lol:

5. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

Right and the rule states in essence that, if a defense doesn't get themselves set in those last three seconds, because of an offensive substitution, then the offense is penalized. So if Im a defensive coordinator and I see the opponent switches a receiver for a tight end and the guy is running onto the field with 3 seconds left on the play clock, I make sure my defense is not set so that the offense gets a penalty. It will force any offense who does not have the right personnel on the field and set with three seconds left on the play clock to burn a time out, if they have one.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I can promise you the defining factor will be the 3 seconds, not whether or not the defense reacts, the writer that interpreted that is a writer after all, they are not known for being too brilliant.

7. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

I do not like rules that require a ref's, discretion. I thought the new halo rule or lack of a halo rule was a good move, until I saw the OU man catch the ball and LSU was call for interfering with the catch.

I like the rule changes, but I can see trouble coming with this three seconds for the defense to get set.