SEC scheduling

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerdoc88, Oct 28, 2002.

1. tigerdoc88

tigerdoc88 Founding Member

This is my first post, so go easy...

I have a couple of questions about how the scheduling in the SEC works. The way I understand it, we play all the other west teams plus two east teams on a rotating basis plus one permanent east team. Please let me know if this is wrong. The other questions I have are: How were the permanent matchups decided? Finally, which west team got Vandy?

Thanks in advance.

2. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Here you go, doc:

The original plan upon the "merger" of the SEC (the addition of USC and Ark) was to play 2 "permanent" teams and one rotating team from the opposite division. Permanents were included to keep some traditional cross-divisional rivalries, including UGA-Auburn (oldest rivalry in the South) and UT-Bama. Others seemed to just fall in line.

As of this year's schedule, the SEC has moved to a 2 rotating and one permanent schedule. The permanent matchups are as follows:

LSU-Florida
    Ole Miss-Vandy
    MSU-Kentucky
    Arkansas-South Carolina
    Auburn-Georgia
    Alabama-Tennessee

3. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

I always wondered why Fla. never rotated off. I wonder how much money it would take to get Ole Miss to trade?

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Why did Ole Miss get Vandy and we get Florida. ;)

5. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Why keep Florida??? Because it is much more fun to beat Florida in the Swamp as we did this year than to beat Vandy year in and year out. Sure, it's a tough game every year, but it is one that you circle on your schedule as an intriguing one every year. Would you do the same with Vandy? I think not.

As for Ole Miss, no wonder they start out strong, then collapse once they start to play quality opponents down the stretch.

6. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Welcome to the board, tigerdoc88! Don't be scared, we go easy on everybody!

Also for each East team we play on the rotation, we will play them for 2 years each, once at our house and once at theirs.