SEC School"s AD Finances

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Jun 12, 2005.

1. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Name another booster club which builds/owns stadiums...

and has absolute & total control over construction projects at a state school and is not subject to any state audit of any kind.

TAF is somewhat unique in its' status and was set up to circumvent state laws, state bid procedures, state payroll restrictions on coaches, and somewhat Title IX requirements.

That being said, even if every school in the country has a booster club such as TAF, you still don't know what funds are in them so any comparison is skewed beyond credibility. That's the point.

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Re: This topic continues to pop up but in LSU's case....

You're right. I think Florida was one of the first schools to go this route on a large-scale, back during Spurrier's heyday. Gator Boosters, I believe.

It's freaking huge.

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Re: Name another booster club which builds/owns stadiums...

TAF is not as unique as some think. I saw a report several years ago listing the SEC schools that have a 501 (C)(3) organization like TAF. I know Georgia was one of them. There were a few others that I don't recall ... something like 4 or 5 schools.

TAF is required to have audits to maintain their non-profit status. They've even posted these audits on their website. Granted, their private status allows them to be more secretive than a public entity, but there is some financial accountability and reporting.

4. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Well, my point isn't that LSU is the only school in the country with a booster club. The point is that revenues which are reported in newspapers and magazines are generally skewed by the fact that booster club funds are seperate from Athletic Department funds. This seperation of funds is exactly the purpose of booster clubs such as TAF. By your own statement, you admit that not all schools have TAF type set ups for their booster clubs.

Considering these facts, when a comparison of funds is published, what value is it as the information is incomplete at best. That was my point.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

It's not difficult to look at these booster financial reports to see how money much they are raising and giving to the athletic departments.

You'll have a fairly accurate comparison when you consolidate the booster group numbers with the athletic department.

7. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Since this has digressed into an area (booster donations, etc.) I don't have info on, I will just answer the questions I posed at the beginning of the thread based on publicly available info.The answers to the four questions are:

1. Most total revenue---Florida

2. Most expenditures---Tennessee

3. Most revenue from FB only--Tennessee

4. Most expenditures on FB--LSU

If anyone cares to see more data, I will post the data for all SEC schools in these categories. I don't have a link or would post it and make it easy.

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Note that Tennessee also has the highest per-seat surcharge of anyone in the SEC...and possibly the country. They also have the largest stadium in the conference. I'm not surprised.

9. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

I would say LSU has high costs for football due to a couple of things. The new east addition, the new west addtion and the fact that we have been in a Jan 1 bowl for the last several years.

10. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Those are certainly factors but a few other schools are in the same boat with going to bowls and having construction going on. And remember we are talking about 2004 only.

The top six in the FB expenditure category are (in millions of dollars):

1. LSU 15.34
    2. Tenn. 12.82
    3. Auburn 12.63
    4. Arkansas 12.62
    5. Florida 12.57
    6. Vandy 12.29

And note, Vandy hasn't been to a bowl and to my knowledge has no construction going on.