SEC - Top Five By Position

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerBait3, May 15, 2008.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Sporting News

Quarterback
    1. Tim Tebow, Florida
    2. Matthew Stafford, Georgia
    3. John Parker Wilson, Alabama
    4. Casey Dick, Arkansas
    5. Jonathan Crompton, Tennessee

Quick thoughts: A down year in the league. Once you get past Tebow and Stafford -- who will be among the top five in the nation this fall -- it gets shaky. Dick didn't play that poorly last fall, and with Bobby Petrino's coaching, will have a big season.

Link

Some pretty obvious mistakes but it occupies time during the offseason.

2. SpartanCaptain

SpartanCaptain Founding Member

so no mention of D. Byrd, C. Black, D. Beckwith, T. Jackson, C. Scott, K. Pittman, or C. Jones?

Beckwith is the main beef i have with this list, then D. Byrd.

The Oline in the SEC this year looks VERY dominant!!

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Byrd should have been on there, no doubt. Probably Black, too, but this years OL class is the best we have seen in a long time so you can basically rotate six or seven guys in and out and not miss a beat. And Beckwith should have at least been #5.

Not sure any of the others deserve to be in there right now though they definitely have the potential to be there at the end of the year.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Going by this list, I'd say the SEC's strengths (top talent and depth): OLine, DLine, LB & DB.

I'm not real impressed with the list of RBs or WRs.

5. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I'm surprised you say that, considering Moreno's freshman year, what we know about LSU's RB platoon, and Dixon. Not McFadden and Jones, but not chopped liver, either.

LaFell over Byrd? Nah. And I think T. Toliver and maybe one of the Mitchell's breaks out this year as well. Only question to temper that is, of course, QB performance - not a small issue, I know.

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Based on the QB List provided above, it would appear that returning players are weighted more heavily in this list.

J. Snead should be on the list of top 5 , IMO ...... certainly he's a more prolific QB than either Dick or JPW.

Similarly, I'd select Emmanuel Moody from UF ahead of Grant, although I enjoy watching Grant tote it....

Running back
    1. Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
    2. Keiland Williams, LSU
    3. Arian Foster, Tennessee
    4. Anthony Dixon, Mississippi State
    5. Terry Grant, Alabama

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Well we haven't seen any of Snead yet, so I understand why he isn't there. I do expect him to be pretty good this year though.

Moody will not be any good.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

The lack of depth is what I'm not impressed with. After Moreno I see a couple later mid round picks...

I agree with LaFell over Byrd, and don't think Toliver knows the offense enough yet to be up there, and would be surprised if one of the Mitchell's broke-out.

9. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

just another link in the long chain of uniformed sporting news college football coverage. they're terrible at this. anyone on this board (or even someone you run into in the street) could put together a better list.

end rant.

10. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Flooded in again??? :D