SEC vs. ACC (after miami and virginia tech)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by snorton938, May 11, 2004.

?

stronger football conference. sec or acc (after miami and va. tech join)

1. SEC

83 vote(s)
    97.6%
  2. ACC

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

after miami and virginia tech officially become part of the acc, which do you think will have the better mix of football talent, sec or acc?

2. b L e S e U r

b L e S e U r Founding Member

This will not make the all time unbiased polling record book.

3. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

The SEC and fresh glass of Kool-aid :thumb:

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah knee jerk reaction for all here would be to say SEC. Let's take a look....

Va Tech and Miami add a lot of brand recognition to a below average football conference overall.

Florida State 7-1 10-3
    Maryland 6-2 10-3
    Clemson 5-3 9-4
    NC State 4-4 8-5
    Virginia 4-4 8-5
    Georgia Tech 4-4 7-6
    Wake Forest 3-5 5-7
    Duke 2-6 4-8
    North Carolina 1-7

Possible Powerhouses (Id categorize by possibly winning the BCS): Miami, FSU

On the rise: UVA and possibly Clemson

Solid: Va Tech/Maryland

SEC Possible Powerhouses: UF, UGA, LSU, UT, AU

Solid: S.C., Ole Myth, Arkansas

Fading: Bama

Bottom of barrel: Vandi, Miss St (pending with Croom), KY (JLO graduated)

What we have learned is that even these bottom feeders in the SEC can compete as we have seen with KY and Vandi many times. In the ACC FSU has rolled that conference for years losing like 2 conference games before the last 2 years I think which magnifies how bad that conference is. Adding VA Tech and Miami just make it more top heavy as it will still suck from half-way on down. NC St (no rivers to koren hookup), Duke (no nobody), NC (what happened to this team the last decade? no Mack recruits?), Wake Forest (actually improved a hell of a lot last year and seem well coached but still Wake). Ga Tech is the wildcard....never know what you get with them.

SEC gets my vote based on this.

5. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Hard to argue with that analysis. :thumb:

6. TigerFan101

TigerFan101 Founding Member

SEC:....was the best, is the best, and will always be the best conference in all of college football. Period. :thumb: :cool: :thumb:

7. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

tirk, if AU is a possible powerhouse Va. Tech and Clemson are. but other than that i agree with ya

8. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

Possible Powerhouses (Id categorize by possibly winning the BCS): Miami, FSU

On the rise: UVA and possibly Clemson

Solid: Va Tech/Maryland

SEC Possible Powerhouses: UF, UGA, LSU, UT, AU

Solid: S.C., Ole Myth, Arkansas

Fading: Bama

Bottom of barrel: Vandi, Miss St (pending with Croom), KY (JLO graduated)

UT is a possible powerhouse with 2 ****ty quarterbacks??? no way...and they lost to Clemson...if UT and AU are possible powerhouses then so are vagina tech, maryland, and clemson

South Carolina is NOT solid...Arkansas is going to suck this year as well...i would put Vagina Tech and Maryland over either of those two teams especially this year

I still think from top the to bottom the SEC is better, but by a slim margin

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

SEC

Tier one---Great Teams---LSU, UGA, UF

Tier Two---Good Teams---UT, UA

Tier Three---Avg Teams---Ole Miss with a maybe to Arkansas based on last year but they lost a lot and a maybe to Bama, we'll see what Shula can do after having a full year to prepare, of course the schollie limits will hurt also.

Tier Four---Mediocre Teams---USC, UK

Tier Five---Crappy Teams---Vandy and MSU--just don't see MSU getting good for a while under Crooms, they fell so low getting blown out by so many teams. Vandy is Vandy, enough said.

ACC

Tier One--FSU, UM

Tier Two---Maryland, Va Tech

Tier Three--Clemson, UV, GA Tech, NC ST

Tier Four--None

Tier Five--- NC, Duke, Wake( I think Wake had their moment in the sun and will sink back down into the pits as usual, like Vandy does after their one or 2 good years in the last 2 decades.

UT could move back up into Tier one as well as Auburn but I don't think it happens in the next couple of years. Maryland will move up IMO but they lost so much from last year's team. UVA will always usually be in the good or avg pack I believe. Clemson needs to have more than one good season before I will afirm the rise to a consistently good team. Ditto GA TEch being wildcard, they always seem to get a lot of great talent and have one good year, one bad, etc. Not too sure about Gailey either, Never really liked him as a head coach.

Overall with Bama being down and Arkansas losing just about their entire team I'd have to rate the conferences pretty even due to the SEC's dominance at the top and the ACC's strength in the middle. The SEC gets the edge due to the top 5 programs being stronger than the ACC's.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

lol I think you overlook how strong the conference is. The reason UT and SC dont look so good is a testiment to how strong the conference really is. Put UT in or SC in the ACC where they could outrecruit most of those crap teams and be even stronger. I'm comparing them nationally not just intra-SEC. See how the teams match up outside the conference and you will see exactly where the SEC stands. Check the bowl records for that matter. Sure its easy to say UT will suck with no QB but til you see them you better give Phat Phil his due because outside of Spurrier his record is unmatched the last 10 yrs. Nor should you discount Granny Holtz. SC is no title contender but AU sure can be. Bama with their scholarship sanctions kicking in even stronger this yr? Just gonna get worse with Shula who was hired to be fired. Nutt? Who knows...probably will be competitive but still a big dropoff from recent teams.

I still stand by the 5 that can and will compete with anyone across the country. Most didnt realistically think we could win it all last year yet look what happened....even with our 2 shi**y qbs (well at least that's what all the outsiders thought).