SEC vs. ACC (after miami and virginia tech)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by snorton938, May 11, 2004.

?

stronger football conference. sec or acc (after miami and va. tech join)

1. SEC

83 vote(s)
    97.6%
  2. ACC

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I think we are just going to have to disagree, but hey, theres nothing wrong with that.

Consider this, though- In the SEC east, 3 teams finished with 6-2 records in SEC play- UGA, UF, and UT. Georgia beat Tennessee, Tennessee beat Florida, and Florida beat Georgia. South Carolina went 2-6 in league play, while Kentucky and Vandy both went 1-7.

South Carolina did beat UVA, who went 4-4 in ACC play. Now, you could argue that that in conference record makes them a middle-of-the-pack ACC team, until you consider who they beat. 3 of those 4 wins came against Wake, Duke, and UNC, the third to last, second to last, and last place teams in the ACC, respectively. South Carolina's only other OOC wins came against ULL (by 7) and UAB. Then they got absolutely clobbered by Clemson (63-17).

Kentucky's OOC wins came against Murray St., Indiana (1-7 in Big10), and Ohio. Nothing to brag about, there.

Vanderbilt's sole OOC win came against UT-Chattanooga.

The way I see it, UGA, UT, and UF only had to get up for 2 of their divisional games- the ones they played against each other. It wouldnt be fair to discount their interdivisional matchups, though, so lets consider those. Florida had the toughest Western slate, having to face LSU(W), Arkansas(W), and Miss(L). Georgia would be next with LSU(L), and Auburn(W), a team that was nearly shutout by Georgia Tech (4-4, ACC), a middle-of-the-pack ACC team. Tennessee would be last with only one game against a team with a winning record, that same Auburn team, and they lost. In the post season, Georgia (6-2, SEC) was the only one of the 3 that won their bowl game against Iowa (6-2, Big10). Florida and Tennessee, both with 6-2 records in the SEC, were pounded by teams with lesser records (5-3, Big10 for Iowa, 5-3, ACC for Clemson) from supposed lesser conferences. Florida had a hellatious schedule last year, both in conference and out (FSU and Miami, both from the ACC, both losses).

Now, consider for a second that Tennessee was put into the aforementioned Division A in the new ACC. We can let them take FSU's spot, since FSU is the elite team in the division. That would still leave them facing Clemson and Maryland every year, two teams that handed them their ass on a platter the last two years, still with the possibility of playing Miami (who they lost to last year), and Virginia Tech. The other 3 teams in the division shouldnt beat a team like Tennessee. So, it seems to me that Tennessee would be in the same position they are in the SEC. Playing 2 teams every year that are capable of beating them, with the possibility of playing 2 more from the other division. This of course is discounting all the other teams having overachieving type years, while also removing FSU from the equation. Of course Tennessee will have years like the did in 1998 or 2001 when they were very good teams playing for championships, but you cant expect that to be the norm.

Is the SEC the best? Yes, but the margin has narrowed.

Sorry to turn this into a dissertation, but I love this stuff.

2. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I'd rank em:

1. SEC

2. Big 12

3. ACC

4. Big 10

The rest..............................who cares

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no problem, I can agree to disagree. I think above statement is what it comes down to. I dont think you can overlook any team in the SEC ever. Even Vandi on occasion. You can cite 1-7 all you want and I will cite Bluegrass Miracle. I am not referring to one year per any team. I am speaking overall as a conference over the last 20 years and the better athletes within have simply gotten that much better. Ask CNS, he may agree.

As far as UT being understated by you saying only compete for a championship every few years but not the norm....

A record of 45-5 through one stretch.
    Four consecutive seasons of 10 victories or more.

to compete every few yrs for a NC is a powerhouse these days followed by attrition and down years. If you dont think last yrs UT team was down then you arent watching the same games i see.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I wouldput the ACC second, the Big Ten third and the PAC 10 4th. The Big Ten in third based on what has happened in that conference the past few years. They aren't just the Big 2 over about 5 years in my opinion. Wisconsin, Iowa and Purdue have got good teams now and the BIG 12 sucked other than the top 3 or 4, depending on the year. That's why they were clobbered in most of their bowl games this past season. I'd rank them 4th.

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Cajdav, you would pick the PAC 10 before the Big 12? The bowl games count for some, but I would'nt base the strength of the conference on last years bowl victories. With the exception of the Trojans I'm not sure they are even 5th, IMO.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

74-0. You were right.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Looking at the last few years with Wash. St, OSU, Oregon and USC I think the PAC 10 stacks up well with the Big 12. Just my opinion. The Big 12 has OU, Texas, KSU and then NeBraska, Ok St and Mizzou, about even I think. The Big 12 is stronger at the top but the Pac 10 just may be stronger in the middle.

8. TigerFan101

TigerFan101 Founding Member

... Finally the ACC gets some love...

9. urtoosmall

urtoosmall Founding Member

SEC > Big 12 > ACC

10. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

OK guys, it's really easy to settle this argument...

According to the NCAA, colleges in the ACC have won 84 national titles in accredited varsity sports, not counting collegiate football.

According to the NCAA, colleges in the SEC have won 140 national titles in accredited varsity sports, not counting collegiate football.

According to the NCAA, the ACC schools have won 10 national titles.

According to the NCAA, the SEC schools have won 11 national titles.

This is NOT counting Georgia Tech's totals towards the SEC, but the ACC. This is also taking into account that MSU, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt have won zero national titles in any sport recognized by the NCAA. South Carolina has won a grand total of one (Sorry, ACC, we'll take their measley one title and let you have GT's 13).

That means that the final total is...

ACC-94 national championships
    SEC-151 national championships

Hell, the initial numbers not counting football were 84 for the ACC, right? LSU and Arkansas combine by themselves alone for 77!!!!!

It's a joke...Miami brings almost the entirety of the football national titles in. Without them, as well as an earlier import in FSU (Who we all knew had the invitation to come to the SEC, but bitched out to go plunder that weak ass conference), they'd have ZILCH in the way of national championships in football.

Case closed, your honor.