SEC West

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Purple Jungle, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

Looking back at the Citadel game, LSU honestly should've won by a considerably larger margin. Three plays (Davis' punt return called back, Randall's fumble, and Clayton's fumble) accounted for a 24-pt difference in the game.

Also, the air got completely taken out of the game after Damien's INT for a TD. In essense, that was only a 50 minute game played on Saturday.

Also, the Citadel opened last season with a 35-7 loss to Georgia Tech (finished 7-5), who beat Syracuse (finished 9-3) the week before in a low-scoring game.

The special teams and passing game need much work before this team can even approach legitimate top 20 status.

With that said, how do you guys think the team will do in the SEC?

Ole Miss has gotten two solid wins so far. Alabama played well against Oklahoma. Auburn stomped Western Carolina. Arkansas beat down Boise State. Kentucky beat Louisville and then drummed UTEP. Florida stayed with Miami for a little over a half.

Mississippi State and South Carolina are the only SEC oppenents that haven't looked solid so far.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

You need to add LSU to South Carolina and Miss St.

I say we make an average bowl (Music City or something) and finish 7-5...

3. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

I really had high expectations for the Tigers this year. I expected them to win the west with little or no problem. After Saturday night, I'm not sure. Right now it looks like maybe Auburn, Alabama and Ole Miss are better ball clubs than LSU. At least they all seem to be playing with more intensity than LSU. I guess the lack of intensity is my biggest concern with this ball club. I see very little emotion on the field. They seem to be flat and not well prepared. Maybe thats because of the quality of the opponent on Saturday, but I didn't see much emotion against VT either. Hopefully things will turn around this weekend. Maybe they have been holding back and will unleash that explosive offense this weekend against Miami O. To beat them they will have to play a lot better than they did this past weekend.

4. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

This may sound like a cop out answer, but I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

Remember, we were saying the same things last year, and the year before, and the year before. Call it the LSU way, but we always seem to take the first few games off and join the season already in progress aarond mid-year (not that I agree with doing that, but its how we do things for some stupid reason).

I'm going to give then at least 2 more games before I make any judgements.

5. bpell

bpell Freshman

I dont know if it was the weather, the opponent, Last week's loss, the new parking issue, etc, but the team just looked flat. There just is'nt much intensity.

6. roygu

roygu Founding Member

roygu

I am still optimistic. Despite the lackluster start, I expect more intensity this weekend and a better played game. The coaches, IMO, are finding out who can play and who are just practice players. We should have established a starting lineup of players who can make plays by this point. All it will take is a couple of big plays or a couple of long successful drives and this team will start to believe in its ability.
    I still think we will be fighting for the West title at the end of the season.
    I have made my prediction now lets wait and see if I need a revision next Monday. LOL
    If the quarterback at Miami is as good as advertised I predict a long game for Hookfin. Sure hope I am wrong.

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I am also optimistic. However, improvement needs to happen soon. We're probably lucky that we start SEC play with Miss. State at home a few weeks into the season (also with a bye week before). I think anyone can beat anyone in the West and we will be one of the teams competing for the SEC Championship. We will certainly have to improve and get a couple of lucky breaks in big games, but if the Saints can do it so can LSU. Maybe it's a good thing to have that sense of urgency before Miami (Ohio) because it's definitely not an automatic win like The Citadel was.

8. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

We are all optimistic.
    Maybe LSU plays up or down to its competition. We still have only the one loss since Ole Miss last year. Give that to V-Tech playing their 2nd game to our 1st. Next week will be a telltale game.

9. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

I think the tigers will be at worst 10-2 on Dec 1st. The the team has a tendency to play up to the competion. It is also hard to be consistant when you are pulling palyers and replacing them with less experienced players. The Citadel was not a gauge of LSU football. We play a better team this weekend and go to SEC play after that. With a week off to get ready for Miss, State. The tigers will be fine and we will win the west.GEAUX TIGERS!!!