Seems as if Alabama Found an OC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerBait3, Jan 30, 2008.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Of course this is being reported by a news station...

Jim McElwain

2. tigerhoss

tigerhoss Founding Member

"In one season with the Bulldogs, McElwain became a fan favorite by devising an offensive scheme that got the most out of the team's personnel."

Don't they have a head coach who is great at doing that???

I mean it's not like they went 6-6 last year or anything.:rofl:

3. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

probably an upgrade from the inexperienced Applewhite.

But...........I thought Crowton was "dying" to go to work with the annoninted one.

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

McElwain, if this does work itself out, is a solid hire. Good coach, work ethic that fits what Saban wants to the letter.

5. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I agree, he's a good fit. I know alot of bama fans were juiced about applewhite, (some annointing him saban's replacement after 10 years and 3 NC's) but he was too young (IMO) and had a different offensive philosphy than saban. I never thought it was a good fit.

It looks good on his resume and I'm sure he gained invaluable experience, though

6. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

I remember you saying similar things about Major Applewhite. Do you know anything about this guy? Why do you say he's a solid hire for Saban? I've never heard of the guy. Does a solid hire for Saban now mean whoever they can find to say yes? It's obvious to me Saban has a very hard time finding a coach to work for him these days.

1 person likes this.
  7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I know a lot about this guy. I say he's a solid hire because of his work ethic. There hasn't been an offer on the table for anyone to consider except for McElwain and you are saying that it's hard for Saban for find anyone to work for him? Funny, considering it was one offer to Williams and he jumped at the opportunity. The notion you are putting out there that Saban is having a hard time finding someone is just "out there." It simply isn't the truth.

Unlike some, I don't rely on different message forums to find out who was in the running for this position. His interview marks the second (one followed him) for the position. We'll see how this develops. I'm told he accepted the offer and wanted to talk it over with his family before he officially made the announcement. We'll all know today.

Care to link the Applewhite comments? He's up and coming, but, wasn't prepared for the job.

8. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

Terry, all do respect but your comments are all Bama spin. When Saban approaches the many OC candidates he approached and many of them say they were not interested I find it funny you don't consider that a rejection. Spin it how you may but folks on this board and others see through the spin. To place blame on Major Applewhite is weak. Saban is as much to blame for what happen with MA as MA is. It seems you, like other Bama fans, have a blind eye to whatever Saban does which is setting you up for a huge fall if Saban does not pull this off. He's off to a rocky start and I'm not sure, based on last years results, he can right the ship at Bama. If he can I'll be the first to offer congratulations on a major accomplishment. And it would be a huge, major accomplishment. And I'm not talking about a good record, I'm talking about a National Championship since that is what Bama expects for its high priced coaches.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Terry, dont forget that we know very well the problems he had with coaches. He was at LSU longer than currently at Bama. I have talked to Skip directly about the probles he had with assistants. He finds a way to get it done but he will always cycle through coaches for the same reasons in the past.

Bobby Williams is a poor example since he has been the only coach to travel with Saban everywhere he goes. Bobby understands his role, let Saban do his thing and Bobby will provide input that might be taken for consideration or not. Bobby's main job scope at LSU was his motivation to the players who he relates to real well and you can see why that is important with a Saban coached team.

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

FWIW, I think that this is a solid hire. His has done well at all his stops, worked as a pro coach so he should be use to working long hours. He just seems like a good coach. Can't come up with a reason to disparage him.