Sen. Robert Byrd dies

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Jun 27, 2011.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

2. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

He is the prime example of why term limits should be enacted.

3. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

i definitely agree we should have a cap on the number of terms they can serve. when i watch them on C-Span, i'm most often much more embarrassed by those in congress that have been there a long time compared to those who haven't

in general, the ones that have been there a shorter time come to meetings more prepared, ask more thoughtful/intelligent questions, raise more thoughtful/intelligent issues, are rarely egotistical, etc...

while the ones that have been there a long time tend to be more likely come to meetings less prepared, more likely to ask shallow/stupid questions, more likely to not grasp the pertinent issues at hand, are very often extremely egotistical (spend much more time talking about themselves and things they have done in the past than they do addressing anything having to do with the issues being discussed), etc

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Two term limit for everyone. Those that have been there so long have developed such a political machine that it's very hard to unseat them. They have large warchest and name recognition which helps them in elections. They should have a two term limit.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I once believed this, too. But I've seen that the ugly flip side of term limits is worse. The Louisiana legislature is now term-limited and what it has done is make the legislature full of folks who have no long-term investment in the future of the state. They make decision that work in their short term that have disastrous consequences down the road. They just don't care. Their first term is all about getting re-elcted and their second term is all about getting pork for the home district, so they can run fro some other office.

Yeah, those old 25-year politicians get a sense of entitlement and act like fat cats, but they at least think beyond two-terms.

6. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I wonder how long it will be before the US Coast Guard starts moving out of WV. There are a LOT of CG orgs in that state thanks to Senator Pork.