Senate vote to quit subsidizing ethanol

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Jun 16, 2011.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

If you have a newer vehicle it shouldn't make a whole lot of difference. I have an older truck (2000) and can get about 415 miles out of a 21 gal tank with no ethanol. If I put the ethanol gas in there I get about 290 to that same tank. The extra .20 it cost me is worth it.

By contrast, my wife has an 08 expidition with I think a 25 gal tank and she can get close to 400 miles out of the ethanol gas. Much bigger truck but I think perhaps a smaller engine which is NOT a chevy so no way it could get as good of mileage.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

true. but i hate ethanol, so matter how you look at it, i wont get it unless i have no choice.

3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

David Pimental, a leading Cornell University agricultural expert, has calculated that powering the average U.S. automobile for one year on ethanol (blended with gasoline) derived from corn would require 11 acres of farmland, the same space needed to grow a year's supply of food for seven people. Adding up the energy costs of corn production and its conversion into ethanol, 131,000 BTUs are needed to make one gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 BTUS. Thus, 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in it. Every time you make one gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 BTUs.
    The approximately $1 billion a year in current federal and state subsidies (mainly to large corporations) for ethanol production are not the only costs to consumers, the Cornell scientist observes. Subsidized corn results in higher prices for meat, milk and eggs because about 70 percent of corn grain is fed to livestock and poultry in the United States. Increasing ethanol production would further inflate corn prices, Pimentel says, noting: "In addition to paying tax dollars for ethanol subsidies, consumers would be paying significantly higher food prices in the marketplace".

Ethanol

The other day while in Houston, they were adding a new sticker to the pumps, the ethanol can be as high as 12%. Some may want to check your owners manual for your car, they require no more than 10% usage of Ethanol in mogas.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I agree with red on no subsidies to any business. I think tax deductions to business is the government picking winners and losers. There should be no deductions at all. Pay a strict 20% with no way what so ever to change the amount of tax owed. Twenty percent of profit peorid.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

You start doing this and every large corporation will relocate or go bankrupt in a flash. A great profit margin is 12%. With a 20% tax rate and no deductions no one is making money.

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I can say that I truely don't know what the tax rate should be. I admit that I'm grossly ignorant of what would be the correct tax rate.
    Here's a question. How much does a company pay out yearly to figure it's tax liability and comply to tax regulations? A simple tax rate that a company can figure ahead of time could take lots of uncertainty out of paying taxes. A large amount of the power congress has comes from manipulating taxes paid by business. This offers oppertunity for corruption. Stop manipulating the taxs paid by business and make a level playing field and corruption will be reduced. Let the market decide winners and losers and not government through taxes and subsidities.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Who says?

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

LSUsupafan.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Is this terse, clueless reply day?

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

why?