Set of Irons

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Jun 23, 2010.

1. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Consider getting a set of used clubs, they will still have many good shots left in them. :hihi:

The best set of irons from 3 years ago is STILL a great set of irons.

Pay PLENTY of attention to the SHAFT in your clubs. Most folks spend time looking at the head of the club. The shaft needs to match your swing speed. Tiger hits XXS, or extra extra stiff, because he generates so much club head speed. For us mortals, even a S or stiff is too stiff. I use R, regular flex, and they are best for me. I like steel over graphite, and they cost a lot less. I used to like Rifle shafts, which are numbered so instead of R, you get 5.0, instead of S, you get a 6.0. True Temper makes plenty of good shafts, and some not so good; Apollo makes very good steel shafts. You could consider picking your shaft and have golfsmith put on some of their heads and play with that for a couple of years. I built my woods with golfsmith XPC heads and true temper R flex steel shafts for about $50 per club, and I really like them. Learn to re-grip your clubs, its real easy. I like cross hatch grips medium size out of the regular, medium, or large.

2. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Sure, there's not really much body rotation in putting so if you want to keep your head down there, go ahead.

I was refering to ball striking, pitching, bunker, etc. Whenever there is body rotation involved your head has to move with you. Ask a cheerleader or one of those stunt bike guys if they could turn there body or do a flip without their head going with it and you will see what I mean.

Also, I agree 100% with houtiger about the shafts. I play "rifle" shafts and love them.

3. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

I've been using my old Mizuno MP-14s lately. Oh so true when you put a good swing on the ball.

4. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

The hybrid is definately a plus with new golfers. I love mine. I bought a set of Nike Ignites back in '06. Had em extended a little bit for my height. Good clubs. I would love some Callaways, though. My cousin bought a good set of used Callaways a few years ago, and they are still the best clubs I've ever hit a golf ball with IMO.

I tell everybody to buy a good set of used clubs to see if you'll still like the game the following spring before you invest a large chunk of money in some clubs first. But I think once you let golf creep into your life, it's all downhill from there :thumb:

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I have had what would be considered a "starter" set for a few years now. They have spent most of that time behind a wake board in the garage, in the attic, or is some forgotten corner. It is only recently that I have taken them out and gotten serious about it. I am not about to throw 6 or 7 hoops at a set of new sticks anytime soon. Used is the way to go for me. Now I just need to figure out which ones they will be.

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Can't help with clubs but here's some advice if you want to shoot 200 instead of 100

1. Always bend your left arm on a swing. It should be bent the entire time
    2. You need a lot of movement in your lower body and hips away from the ball and then to it when you swing
    3. Swing as hard as you can. The harder you swing, the farther the ball goes.
    4. No pre shot routine. this only messes you up in the head. Remmber, golf is not a mental game but a physical one that uses muscles and athleticism over mindpower
    5. Chips and puts should be very wristy. Always bend and straighten the wrists during chips and puts.
    6. Your head leads the swing. It should move back with the club and come up forcefully at impact.

Follow these six simple steps and you'll do great.

7. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I say Callaway Big Bertha. JMO, though.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This is all excellent advice.

I have the Big Bertha 2006 iron set and they are very forgiving.

9. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

I have Callaway X14 irons, bought them used off ebay for about $200. They cut at least 5 strokes off my scores.

10. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

no offense but almost all of you sound like a bunch of clueless hackers. frankly, all of you need some advice.

here goes (if i can get through to just one of you then my work is done)

1) Review your Grip, make sure its sound.
    In general the V's should point between your chin and right shoulder, hands joined interlocking or overlapping in a Varden Grip.
    I prefer more of a finger then palm grip with the left, and a neutral left thumb.
    A sure sign of a hacker is a right thumb straight down the shaft.

2) Review your Alignment, make sure you are aiming where you think you are. This includes alignment of feet, shoulders, hips. Good practice is to place a shaft or alignment stick on the ground as you work on your swing. Get alignment out of the equation.

3) Review your Posture. Athletic Posture similar to a Linebackers poised for play, or someone about to jump in a pool. I won't get into all the nuances of proper posture here, but you should.

4) Rhythm and Balance. With a good grip, posture, and alignment you should be able to RELAX and swing within yourself.
    Do not over-swing. If your shoulders have stopped turning back, your arms should stop as well. A sure sign of a hacker is seeing arms still winding up after the shoulders are fully coiled.
    Do not over-swing. Do not let your right knee break down. Keep it at the same flex as address. Avoid weight gathering on the outside of your right foot. It should gather towards inside and heel. (Try to throw a baseball letting the weight gather on the outside of your right foot.)

I hoped this gets through to one of you hacks, and maybe we'll have one more real golfer in the world.:wink:

and for the love of god, do not putt with your right index finger extending down the shaft. That must be the first thing taught in Hacker school.