Set of Irons

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Jun 23, 2010.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

With so many low handicappers chiming in, I feel pretty inadequate but I would suggest the following:

1) Go to a legitimate RECOMMENDED golf equipment store.
    2) Swing anything before you buy..looking cool or keeping up with Mr Jones is not what golf is about
    3) Don't be in a hurry
    4) Give the salesperson your budget cut by 1/2. Once you find something you like, see what the next increment in price will get you.
    5) Don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough
    6) I would suggest a good, but not great set. Don't buy crap, but don't spend big bucks either on your first set
    7) A lot of time you can get a good deal on a quality set of used clubs, have them re-gripped if required and you are good to go. A lot of yokels "have to have" the next best thing and some really good sticks get traded in
    8) Remember swing a bunch before you buy anything
    9) Most important: Save as much as you can on your initial outlay, and put that toward lessons. A couple to get an idea of the full swing, and then short game, short game, short game, putting, did I mention short game.

Oh yeah, never forget that golf is a noun.

Good Luck.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

amazing what asking the question "what kind of irons should I get"? will get you. Pretty good stuff so far:grin:

3. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Don't forget to always run the option to the short side of the field!:lol:

1 person likes this.
  4. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Let me know where you play so i can go collect all your golf balls in the water hazzards!

:lol:

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I tried these tips yesterday. And man did these help ;-)

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I started really enjoying the game more when three things happened:
    1) I picked up Harvey Penick's Little Red Book,
    2) I started swinging at the spot just below the ball and not the ball,
    3) I stopped keep score when I played by myself.

I walk, not ride. My game improved a bit and the exercise is great. I enjoy the game and am thinking about my next shot as I walk up to it that I spend less time hovering over the ball and taking practice swings. By the time I'm at the ball, I'm ready to swing. When playing alone, I never take more than seven strokes if there are other people on the course. Bad play is fine, but slow play in inexcusable.

I'm still swinging my Titleist DCI irons, Cleveland wedges, some hokey Saints putter that's an Anser copy and Callaway Steelhead woods. Steel shafts are in everything with OS grips. if I ever get another set of irons they'll be Pings. By far the most forgiving irons I did ever swing.
    What should I do about my 2?

When I started playing, I didn't have any woods. I bought a 2 iron off ebay on a whim after hearing the Lee Trevino joke about holding one over your head if caught on the course with lightening (because not even God can hit a 2 iron) and ended up playing well with it. Not as much distance as when I inevitably bought woods, but more consistent and accurate.

7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Trevino's line was about the 1 iron, but for us amateurs the 2 iron works just as well.

8. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I must be a natural. I do all these things and have never even taken a lesson.

Another thing I find useful is to insist that highest score wins. If anyone argues make them look foolish by saying like, "Have you never watched sports before? Everyone knows that the team with the most points wins retard."

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Great advice. Years ago, I was taking a lesson from an older pro. He watched a couple of my swings, then took a golf ball and placed it under the outside of my right foot to help me understand what you are talking about. It made a huge difference. Every time I started to regress, he would make me play like that.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

if anyone is looking for a non-toonces golf bag, i found this. it is the only one i have found sans drunk feline.

[​IMG]