Shaft a vet . com !!!!

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by col reb, Mar 27, 2006.

1. col reb

col reb Founding Member

By Rush Limbaugh:

I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving our country in uniform are profound. No one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11. Well, I can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country. If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.

If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable.

Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are "complaining" that it's not enough. Their deaths were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way for all of us, and they and their families know the dangers.

We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the "Oklahoma City" bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11 families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad. Every timea pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the MIDDLE EAST while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low rent housing. Make sense?

However, our own U.S. Congress voted themselves a raise. Many of you don't know that they have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month. And most are now equal to being millionaires plus. They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system. If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7, they may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed them in harm's way receives a pension of $15,000 per month.

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.

I know this will make the Col. seem cold hearted etc, but I don't know why the government will pay them at all. That was an act of war!!! Did the families of Pearl Harbor scream for money? NO SIR.....The American people united and kicked Japan's butt. But why does the government pay for everything? People in N.O. and the Gulf coast were warned for years that such a storm could do exactly what it did. Are we paying for the Cal. mud slides. Victims in "tornado alley?" Seriously, where does it stop?

2. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

this is a crazy article... I don't really know what to think about this...

I'll just say I didn't enlist 5 years ago thinking i was going to be going to war. and I certainly didnt think I was going to be paid a whole lot of money if i died....??? this one million dollar thing with the 9/11 folks is kinda crazy... is this nation just going to start paying people money when they are killed by a terrorist group? what about the beirut barracks? or the USS Cole, thats parked two piers down from me? strange...

3. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

It is just another example of those who serve being taken advantage of by those being served. Please, graduate HS and defend our country for $11 an hour (With BAH, if you have a dependent, and subsistence pay, throw those out and you make $6.79 an hour if you work a 40 hour week, yeah, right). Hey, you get all this time away from family and friends, get to be shot at, it will be great.

Many complain about the cost of the military. Some say if we didn't spend so much on the military, we could spend even more on social programs. I say cut the social programs and spend the $$$$ on the military personnel. Then the social program would be to become a competent human being, then maybe you could qualify for service.

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I never believed the payment to the 9/11 victims was a good idea because I knew it would lead to a surge in the entitlement mentality among vets families and any future Americans killed by terrorists. I foresaw a enourmous wave of "Me tooism". My heart goes out to the families of victims, but the government cannot continue to be a grab bag of entitlements.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I agree that its a crock, but I find the whole thing funny because Limbaugh was a huge proponent of death benefits for the victims of 9/11.

6. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I have always felt that someone who serves our country is entitled to the best we can provide. It isn't "me too", it is "We owe". Everyone wants a photo op with a hero so they can say they support our troops, I want to see support when the cameras are not around.

7. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Read the book Starship Troopers. I know it sounds corny, but that's how it should work. Serve or expect nothing. Nothing earned, nothing gained.

#$%^ social security! #$%^ welfare! #$%^ anyone who isn't willing to go out and earn it on his or her own. Half of this country is nothing but a bunch of damn beggars. Every time I see one of my hard earned paychecks, it makes me sick. I work my a$$ off week after week and 35%, right off of the top, goes into someone else's pocket. 10% more is taken away when I buy something. After all of that, at the end of the year, I end up owing the stinking state "South of I-10" $1300.00. BS!!!

Why should someone profit just because a family member was killed on Sep 11th? It makes no stinking sense. If someone is killed in a traffic accident, and he or she didn't plan ahead and purchase life insurance, guess what? His or her love one's are out of luck. Why does the govt owe these people anything? They don't.

I love my country, but my government sure makes me sick sometimes.

Sorry for the rant......Geaux Tigers! :hihi:

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

I thought (that I read long ago) that the payouts for the 9/11 families were so that they would not sue the airlines. The only way they can get the $$ from the govt. is by signing a document that they won't sue the airlines. The intent behind the legislation for the payments was to protect the airlines, that many thought had been negligent in the screening process.

If so, it is just another govt. welfare program to protect the airlines, at everyone else's (including vets) expense.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i actually have this book on my shelf, but i have not read it, a friend gave it to me, and said almost the same thing you said. he said it was kinda corny, but is a parody of people who think like you and isnt to be taken at face value. i should check it out. either you or my friend has gotten the opposite message of the intent of the book.

edit: i looked into it, and i was confused. i think you are right about the intent of the book, and the movie is actually meant to be a parody of the ideas in the book.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's not a parody, it's a satire and definitely a Cold War-era political statement by Heinlien. Starship Troopers is not one of Heinlien's best books, I prefer Stranger in a Strange Land or the very good Time Enough for Love.