Shame on USC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by USMTiger, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Everyone here needs to learn how to spell!

2. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

The AP did not want the responsibility of selecting the 2 teams to compete for the NC.

"The creators of the BCS initially wanted the AP and USA Today/ESPN polls to decide which teams played in a one-game showdown for a national title. The AP balked, telling BCS officials to add other elements to the formula.

The AP said its mission is to report the news, not to make the news.

Well, that horse has long since left the barn. The BCS uses the averages of both polls in its formula. Estimates place the value of that portion of the BCS standings anywhere from 25 to 33 percent of a team's total points."

Carl Dubois - The Advocate

http://2theadvocate.com/stories/121503/spo_dubois001.shtml

Here are a few more examples from the past that show the AP has been unhappy with the BCS all along.

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/1210/1293013.html
    http://football.about.com/library/weekly/aa111902a.htm
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/2001/bowls/news/2001/12/10/cfb_beat/

So you want the coaches to decide? How many LSU games do you think PAC-10 coaches (other than studying film of the Arizona game), Big East coaches, Big 10 coaches, CUSA, and all the others saw? Do you think if Saban had a vote he would stay up late Saturday night watching film of USC-Hawaii so he could make an accurate vote?

As for USC hyping the Rose Bowl as the NC game, what should Pete Carroll say? "Well boys, let's go play for pride, because we damn sure aren't playing for anything else." Of course not. His job is to motivate his players. If he does it by saying his team got screwed by the BCS and is still playing for the AP NC, then more power to him.

I find it ironic that the week before the SECCG, we were the ones attempting to defend our strength of schedule, while USC was crowing about how their schedule was better. You should remember, JSracingBBF, that had Hawaii defeated Boise State or ND beaten Syracuse, your almighty computers would have us on the outside looking in, and you would be the one crying and complaining. The fact is, those two games meant absolutely nothing to the teams that were playing in them (Syracuse and ND are both terrible, BSU and Hawaii already had determined their bowl positioning) yet they decided who would play in the Sugar Bowl. You need to realize that the AP is bitching because they see the system needs changing, and they finally have the arguement to back it up. The coaches should be doing more as well, but I guess as long as the fat TV contracts keep those paychecks coming, they don't want to buck the system too much. And even Stevie Wonder could see through that, although you and Ray must have missed it.

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Your links do not fully proof your point about the AP being unhappy with the BCS all a long as much as these prove that these people think a play off is the best option. Everyone thinks there should be a playoff, but the AP is not answer for this problem anymore than the BCS. One questions rather Ohio State is really the #2 team towards the end of last year. Another wondered why no one was crying that Illinois was not in the Championship instead of the Sugar.
    The BCS is not perfect and does to be updated again, but when is the AP going to update or fix itself? Is it really better and more accurate?

As for the games you mentioned it goes both ways, do you think Alabama cared about the Hawaii game (a reward for the team since on probation), Florida got robbed against FSU, LA Tech did not care about the Rice game, ... etc. These games are very small parts of the equation, but since the standings were so close between LSU and USC people are focusing on the last weekend (or last game) instead of remembering the others throughout the season. The BCS is set up to overcome people that only have a short term memory and can only seem to remember the last weekend of the season. You bring up OU's big loss over a now top ten team, but it that really worse than getting beat by an unranked team just because OU's loss happened at the end of the season? Is beating just one ranked team in the final polls better than beating two with one of these in the five?

We all knew before that weekend that OU could lose and still be in the Championship game. Our issue before that weekend was that USC did not deserve to be there over us.

Do you really think USC is better the Oklahoma?

4. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Whining, moaning, and bitching. We are in the Sugar Bowl, remember? Quit worrying about USC and be glad we are where we are. Just because I am honest enough to say I see the USC viewpoint is no reason to act as though I am the Anti-Christ. I don't know where you get that I said the AP is the answer to anything. They AP does not believe they are the answer; I don't think they want the responsibility, which is why they are pushing so hard for a playoff system.

You mentioned Illinois being in the NC. Who's to say that after their last game maybe they should have been in the top 2. I really don't know. I know after they didn't play a game for a month we kicked the crap out of them in the Sugar Bowl. I also know that had their been a playoff system in place, LSU could have just as easily won the NC that year as anyone else, had Rohan been able to play the next week, because we were playing better than any team in the country. I wish we could have gotten OU or USC Dec. 13, because of the roll we were on. You wait a month to play the game and who knows who will show up.

Do I believe USC is better than Oklahoma? Yes I do, based on what happened Dec. 6. USC lost one game early in the season, which can happen to anyone, just like it happened to us against Florida. Oklahoma was playing in a championship game and got their asses handed to them. K-State abused them in every facet of the game.

You seem to think the BCS is a good system (although you do say it needs some changing), I am assuming because they have LSU in the NC game. I too am thankful for that. I also expect to be in the top 4 in the country in years to come and don't want to be on the other side of the coin, because some team like Marshall or Va. Tech decides to pull out of a game with us and it kills us in the BCS. Your current love for the BCS is obviously jaded by the fact that our Tigers are in the NC game, and we deserve to be there in my opinion. However, I don't want to see us get screwed in the future, which is why I believe a playoff system should be instituted.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

No one disagrees that the best system would be a playoff but the powers that be have made it pretty clear that that is not going to happen. So, the reality is that the current system needs to be revised to make it better (although I continue to maintain that the human polls are the problem, not the BCS). Anyway for someone who complains about bitching and whining, marcmc99 does an awful lot of bitching and whining about other peoples' bitching and whining.

6. tpb

tpb Founding Member

Wag The Dog--Some believe if they say it enough times, and put up a web site, then is must be true, especially in Hollywood--the land of fairy tales and make believe.

7. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

And opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink. Including mine and yours. - marcmc99

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Read my sig.;)

9. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Already did. That was my inspiration for my reply.:D

10. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I am not saying you are the anti-christ just that you are wrong. You seem just as worried about USC as anybody else here. I do not care what happens in the Rose Bowl. The Sugar Bowl has the top 2 teams in the country.

ILL was not a great team. The fact that you say there was a possibility that they should have been in the Championship game proves you are just fishing for anything to prove your point.

Who is saying anything about love of the BCS? or not wanting a play-off system?
    The BCS is a better system than using just the AP poll. Play-offs would be better, but that is not a reality right now. We can either use the BCS with some more tweaks (none of the ones I would like would change who is in the Sugar Bowl) or go back to just the human polls. I choose the BCS, and if that means we get held responsible for poor contracts and weak teams than so be it. Your view is jaded by allowing a late season loss to a now top 10 team to be more important than a earlier loss to an unranked team and by wanting to overcome the possibility of LSU having weak non-SEC schedules in the future before there is a play-off system in place. So who is letting their LSU glasses get in the way of seeing things clearly?

How many ranked teams did USC beat versus OU? How many ranked teams does the PAC 10 have versus the Big 12? How many wins does USC have over teams with a winning record versus OU? How many wins over a top 10 team does USC have versus OU? LSU and the SEC could be substituted for OU and the Big 12 for all but the last one. It is pretty clear when you look at the entire season who has done more to be in the Sugar Bowl.