Shaq Pays For George Mikan Funeral

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Jun 3, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Shaq is a role model in every sense of the word/phrase. "Role Model" has become an over-used and misused phrase--especially considering that kids use that when referring to questionable character professional players such as Bonds, Randy Moss, etc.

If I had a son that was looking to model himself after, I would be greatly accepting and greatful if he ever says, "I want to be like Shaq."

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

rofl:rofl: :rofl:

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Who cares about sports when it comes to stories like this.
    Sports is sports and is important in that world but then there is the real life of reality where people experience success as well as tragedy.

I don't care how good or bad a person is in the sporting world, what counts
    is his real world face.

4. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

classic Tirk :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Sourdough, I guess I take for granted people still want to represent this country and consider it an honor. Wouldn't you agree we need classy people like Shaq representing our country abroad? Someone that kids all around the world can look up to?

5. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Jolly ole St Shaq :D

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Actually, after what happened to the US's basketball team in the olympics, I don't think professional players should represent our country. I think we should take college kids and put them out there, because at least they want to play the game and aren't worrying about their image like the pros. The NBA players worry WAY too much about their own egos, and I think they made a VERY poor representation of our great country.

7. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

so you want him to play in the olympics yet he can't even finish a season anymore due to his injuries? Do you know how many extra games shaq has played due to the playoffs and the olympics? Over a full seasons worth. Thats a lot of games for a big man like him. He is also thirty something years old. He isn't a young buck anymore.

Lets say you worked for a company that paid your 25mil a year to do your job. Would they want you going to represent your country and do your job for free and then when you come back you con't even do the work for them that they payed you to do? How do you think they would feel?

I wish some of the younger players would have went. Also I think we need to send college players too because atleast they mould have time to practice together. The NBA players aren't good enough to beat the international teams anymore because they don't get but like 3 weeks of practice together.

Shaq is by far my favorite player. Him and PIstol Pete are my favorite of all time. I'm with the poster earlier too, in I believe he is the most dominating player ever. Only one even close was Wilt.

Oh and GO HEAT!!!!!

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Pride may play a huge factor as well for O'Neal. Remember he was slighted as a college player when Laettner was chosen for the Olympic team instead of him. How fitting now that Laettner's only hope for a NBA championship rides on O'Neal's shoulders right now in these playoffs.

9. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Once in 1999, he made a comment to me that sums up his feelings about how the world, at times, feels about him: "Everyone has a right to their opinions," he said. "And the stuff they say (about me) only shows me that in some way, they respect me. Hey, I must not be that bad of a person when the only bad thing about me you can say is that I'm not a good free-throw shooter."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/050603&num=3

10. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

I can't believe I have to even argue this point.

First, I think we have established Shaq is a man that is not about the money. He has more than he will ever need.

Second, how the hell do you know that Shaq would get injured playing in the Olympics? That same argument about team blah is paying joe player millions of dollars could be applied to LeBron, Carmelo, Tim Duncan, Jordan, Bird and on and on.

Third it is one year in his life he would make this huge unbelievable sacrifice in the face of flying bullets and car bombs.

Fourth, it is awesome exposure to LSU on a worldwide basis because he would of been the face of the team.

Sorry, apparently I am asking too much. There is more to life than the NBA.