Shawn Jordan

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Indiana Tiger, May 19, 2005.

1. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

It should, as this is the kind of incident that the NCAA loves to jump on, so it could get very ugly if any other players/individuals were involved.

The amount is what the NCAA will try to scope out.

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

A misdemeanor offense and $750 bond leads me to believe he wasn't exactly trying to sneak a tractor-trailer load of the stuff across the border.

Still, considering the uproar over P.E.D. (performance enhancing drugs) that has been going on recently, this incident will put both him and LSU under a microscope.

I'll never understand why. He's just a sophomore, with three more years of eligibility, plenty of time to get buff and make a name for himself. I'm going to withhold judgement and pray that this was one stupid mistake by one misguided kid looking to get a little bit of an edge for offseason conditioning.

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

The good news for Jordan is that it was a small amount and will only be a class A misdemeanor and will not be subject to federal drug trafficking laws. Not sure if that will be good enough to keep him on the team, but it will keep him out of jail.

Here's the full story from The Advocate ...

4. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Well I hope he's learned his lesson and that he's given a chance to redeem himself. The kid was an all-academic guy but sure didn't use his smarts on this one.

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm happy to hear that it was a small amount because I, too, didn't want the NCAA sniffing around and making a witch hunt out of this situation. What a stupid time to be experimenting with steroids--that's the hottest issue out there right now.

6. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Hmm...that's a pretty interesting point there, Hawker. Love the comment about Lubbock.

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

You might be right...

This is a bad situation for both Jordan and Miles. Either Miles suspends him or kicks him off.

Do you kick him off of your team to set an example? Or do you look at it in another light and say, "Well, this was a big mistake, but I won't kick you off just because of one mistake"?

If Miles were here, oh, let's say 5+ years, and had track record of having a clean program, and a history of good players both on and off the field, perhaps Jordan's situation COULD have been looked at differently, and allowed him a second chance. But I don't think that, with Miles having not even coached his first game here, that giving Jordan a 2nd chance is an option that should even be considered.

I think, at this point, Miles has to make the decision to drop Jordan from the team. We don't need any bad pub about how our new coach lacks a "backbone" and is "too player-friendly". If there was one negative thing about Miles' past coaching, it was that he was labeled "easy" in terms of discipline. I don't want to see this program turn into Tennessee or South Carolina, or worse yet, Ohio State.

We've got enough FB's--especially since it's a position that we don't have to use very many of in our offense. Having Jordan would have been a luxery...but we don't need him--especially if keeping him on leads any writer or fan to believe that you can come to LSU, do anything, and not be punished.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Jordan would never miss a game if he played for Arkansas, Florida St or Miami. I am a big fan of hard nosed discipline but Miles should wait and get all of the info including Jordan's drug test results before he throws him to the wolves whether it's Miles first season or 50th. Remember this guy has been a model citizen so far, is a good student and is very young. What kind of message would he be sending to the players if he dropped Jordan before he knew all of the facts and Jordan had a chance to defend himself or confess?

The depth chart and position played should have no bearing on how discipline in handed out no matter if he is a Heisman trophy candidate or a practice squad player, just my two cents.

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Don't get me wrong, this is America, and everyone is innocent until proven guilty. I'm just saying that once all of the facts are in, and if Jordan is positive, he should be released.

It's not like any of these guys aren't aware of what substances are illegal and what's not. I mean, the guy wasn't smuggling creatine for Pete's sake.

If the NCAA tests for a substance, all of these athlete's are fully aware of it--even before setting foot on LSU campus.