Shawnson Johnson finished

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Dec 3, 2002.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Penthouse eh? I doubt that Lester Earl had a plan to take money from Johnny Jones, transfer to Kansas and then rat out LSU to the NCAA. But I'm sure Coach Jones treats all his players fairly. Benz for one, Beamer for another, Caddie for another....

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Does Bobby Knight have any people skills? No but he won 3 National Championships. I don't see why everybody is so down on Brady. This is his first year without being on probation and he did take the Tigers to the Sweet 16 even with the handicaps he was working under Lets see what his record is at the end of the year before calling for his head.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't think I'm down on Brady. Not yet. I don't know enough about basketball X and O's to tell you if he's a top talent or not. I'll judge him on W and L's. He did better than expected on probation, now he needs to prove that he can compete in the SEC with a full squad. I'll hold judgement on the need for a coaching change until after the season.

I DO think that he needs to find some anger management skills. His game tirades are gettting old with the fans. He is not Bobby Knight. Heaven knows what the players have to put up with in practice. They have ego's and pride, too.

The guy can recruit and hire assistants. Dale Brown wasn't a top X and O coach either, but he could recruit and kept enough talent on the bench and the court to make us competitive in the SEC for twenty years.

Also players do quit on good coaches from time to time. Rick Mattick, among others, quit on Dale Brown. Nick Saban has had players quit in every year he's been here, most recently Damien James.

Brady isn't going to change his style. If he runs off too many players to compete in this league, then he's gone. If he wins the SEC, then he'll get a raise. That's the way it works. Skip will make the right decision at the right time, I'm guessing.

4. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

100% behind the Coach

Brady is right on this one from all the Articles that I have read Johnson hasn't told his side but I have to believe the Coach on this one.

5. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

First, I'm not professing to know any of the details of this but, when you are used to being the star, perhaps have had little or no discipline and are put into a situation where discipline is extremely strict, it becomes a hard pill to swallow. Additionally, being bigger and stronger during high school, the competition is something that the kid has probably not faced until now. I can only say he is lucky that he was not in the military and was able to quit. Had he been in the military he would just have had to suck it up. I'm not ready to give up on Brady. His record at the end of the season is what counts. I just hope this doesn't disrupt the team.

6. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

This Just might be good for the team

This could be the reason a very talented team was not jelling and might actually bring the team together.

Can you say CANCER

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Still behind Brady

I'll continue to support Brady but MikeD may be on to something regarding his people skills. I sat behind the bench for the A&M game and his rants seemed to be justified, he wasn't just yelling to hear himself. Still, how does he treat the players in private. I think players like Collis and Dupree respect Brady but others may have trouble getting along with him (Torris, S. Johnson, J. Young last year).

r_bear made some good points and I agree with red55 also. It all comes down to production for Brady (any job does). I'm not sure how this will affect the team but it seems like it'll give Dupree more room to operate on offense.

Johnnie Jones has NO chance of being our next coach.

8. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Question guys?

If Brady is so tough to work for why are players like Thompson and Ambres paying their way to play on this team. Hudson could have transferred to any school in the country after his freshman year.
    Read Dupre's and Hudson's remarks in The Advocate. Some players can take coaching, some cannot. (Remember Dwayne Scales and the NCAA Tournament).

9. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

First of all, I support Brady as coach and just because I think that he lacks people skills in certain situations doesn't mean I don't like him. I go to every game enjoy what Brady has done at LSU. I just think that his behavior at games is over the top sometimes.

Here's a link to a Reveille article showing all the respect for Shawnson that he deserves. :rolleyes:
    http://www.lsureveille.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/12/04/3ded9f81e3672