Shepard vs Pryor

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Kbraun, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I agree. My point, poorly made (writing lazy today :lol:), is that we really don't know how good of a QB Shep is going to be yet. We know he's an awesome athlete. We know he has the tools. But he could turn out to be an AMAZING QB. Or, he could turn out to be a much, much better WR than a QB.

Trying to guess which one of those is true before he eats his first meal with the team is a bit uselesss....

kinda like this tit-for-tat I'm engaged in with you...:grin:

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I like Shepard's passing ability a lot more than what I saw with Pryor this year. I just can't get excited with his fluttering ball that Pryor seems to throw more often than not.

And I just don't see 4.4 speed with Pryor. Has he broken one for 60, 70, 80 yards this season? I don't know if he has, but my guess is he hasn't even come close to breaking one.

He looks tentative when he runs. Shepard gets from 0-60 in no time. That's the big difference. And Shepard has much more ability to slip and slide and make you miss. I don't see that in Pryor.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yup.

Pryor is a big stider(sp?), which makes him look slower, but he's also not explosive & doesn't have any moves in the open field, which means he won't be breaking many long runs.

Shepard is definitely way, way more explosive and better in the open field.

4. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/consensus-100/russell-shepard

I first read about this a year ago, after his Jr. season. Shep was aware folks thought his passing ability was his weak part of his game. He set an objective to get help and to improve this. I heard he met a former NFL QB who lived in Austin and he went to Austin a couple of weekends a month. I didn't remember who the NFL guy was, just did some searches and came up with this. Thought ya'll would like to read about it. Gotta admire Shep's planning and desire to improve!

I may have read about it in the Chronicle, seemed Blake and Shep hit it off, Blake invited him over, they hit it off and have a good relationship.

5. islstl

This is what all the excitement and clamor over Shepard has been about with reports like these.

This isn't some talented kid who is gonna sit on his hands (Perrilloux). This kid is for real, he takes everything seriously and he took away from all the fun he could have had as a senior, instead dedicating himself to being the best possible QB he could be for his high school team as well as LSU coming into the Spring.

I know a lot of people think I drool too much on this kid, but just wait and see.

That's all I have to say.

6. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

My only hesitation with Shep is that the fan base will place too many expectations on him too early. Perfect world, I'd like to see him surprise folks instead of be advertised or slightly disappointing.

Right now - he's being built up so high it will be hard for anything he does to surprise anyone - and that's a shame for a true freshman.

7. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I think the statement that Shepard is a small quarterback holds very true for NFL implications. In college ball, I believe that height is not nearly as important. In the NFL, height is much more important to be able to see the whole field and make reads faster. Troy Smith is the perfect example of this. He is about 6'0" and excelled in college, but is riding the bench in the pros behind a 6'7 Joe Flacco that played I-AA ball. The other side of this is that Shepard is only 185 lbs. At that weight it seems as though his body won't be able to take the same contact that a body with 200-210 lbs on it would. There is the difference between he and all of the 6'-6'2" QBs in the NFL.

If he does play QB, his height won't matter that much in the type of offense that LSU has. I get the feeling that Crowton would devise more of a spread scheme for him so that he would be able to see the field more easily, much like Mizzou spreads the field to allow Chase Daniels to see the whole field.

8. islstl

I see your point.

I will try to throttle it back a bit. :rofl:

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Pryor reminds me of Rohan Davey. He's got a big arm, but the way the ball flies out of his hand at such an odd trajectory is quite strange. Still, it works for him.

He reminds me of Deuce McAllister who had legit 4.4 speed in college. He eats up a chucnk of yardage with each step. Watch him runn down the sidelines if you get a chance and the hashmarks on the sidelines are just a blur.

No doubt. Shepard is like mercury. He reminds me a bit of Jermaine 'Juice" Sharpe who is known more for him fumblitis. Pryor takes a couple steps, but he's trucking when he gets there.