Guns Shooting Range--No Muslims Allowed

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Oct 9, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No, all state university employees work for the state. But most are not rank and file low-paid civil service employees with legal rights to hold their job. The clerks and janitors and craftsmen on campus are civil service. But the faculty, administrators, and professionals are unclassified and have no civil service protection. We are higher-paid, but we can be fired or laid off at the pleasure of the Board of Supervisors. We bring in much federal money as contractors, but are not federal employees.

The notion that tiga or I should be somehow ashamed for doing a job that we like and have been successful at is amusing. I would be gone if this wasn't a dream job for me.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Don't you get tenure after a few years of employment?

3. red55

Only tenure-track positions get tenure and it takes quite a bit of time and accomplishment. Academic departments have a lot of tenure-track positions, but research departments do not. Administrators do not get tenure at all unless they also have a tenured position. But not even tenure can protect you if you don't get your job done or budget cuts eliminate your position.

4. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I was just being a dick when I said that, like I said in an earlier post, there's nothing wrong with working for the state. My girlfriend was a state employee until LSUHSC privatized, now the money is less, and the hours are the same. I wish LSU wouldn't have gone that route. Soon i'll be there myself.

5. red55

Stop electing Republicans! All they care about is reducing taxes and eliminating government jobs. The bests interest of the state do not matter. The universities have been slashed and burned. The hospitals have been privatized and are a mess. Prisons are next. State employee benefits have been illegally reduced and eliminated. Pension funds have been raided. Services have been slowed or eliminated. Elderly services have been slashed just as the Baby boom starts turning 70. Our roads completely suck. Our schools completely suck. Louisiana has some of the lowest taxes in the country and they still want to slash state income. It will take us 50 years to get out of the hole Jindal has dug us into.

I ain't sure I'm hanging around. When I retire for good, I am seriously considering living somewhere else with better services, better roads, less crime, less corruption, and four seasons.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  6. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

So you want to live in CO? My dad moved out to San Diego for his last 3 yrs with Monsanto, then retired and went to work for HP, he loves it, better pay, better hours. Honestly the only thing I like about SoCal is the weather.

7. red55

I do not care to live in Southern California. Pretty country, but dismal cities with high crime and bad government. Not Colorado either. I would love to live there in the summer, but not the winter. Both have a too-high cost of living.

Utah, maybe. Easy-going place with good government. Cold winters but damn nice the rest of the year. I love camping and backroading in the desert and mountain country. It would be nice to be closer to it. Or maybe a college town like Ashville, NC. But I'd prefer to stay in the SEC footprint, so maybe somewhere in the Ozarks of Missouri and Arkansas or the mountains in Tennessee or Kentucky. A place with four real seasons and some decent football. Northern New Mexico also appeals to me a lot.

But it would be hard to leave LSU football, many friends and family, Louisiana cuisine, and our short, mild winters. I probably should buy a cabin in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, or New Mexico and spend my spring and summers there and return to Louisiana for football season and the mild winter.

GregLSU likes this.
  8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

There you go, the best of both worlds.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Most folks are leaving SoCal, not arriving. Smart move. The weather and outdoor opportunities are spectacular but the urban sprawl and the libtard government have destroyed what was a great place to live. I can't wait to get the hell out.

tirk and GregLSU like this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

My former next door neighbor and her husband retired and moved to the Ozarks in Missouri. She sold her house in Baton Rouge so I suppose they are living there year round. For me its too damn cold in the winter. As for NW Arkansas that might be a place to buy property at a good deal. I was in the area about three years ago and there was lots of houses for sale. Walmart had required that all of the vendors they did business with to have a physical presence in the Bentonville general area. There are thousands of strip office complexes and a lot of people had to move to the area and buy houses and whatever. Then Walmart dropped that requirement and most of those businesses closed their Arkansas offices. It gets sort of cold there in the winter but a cabin on a mountain would be nice if you didn't sell your house in Baton Rouge.

If you want real mountains NM, CO, WY, or UT would be your best bet. The first moutains I ever saw were in New Mexico and Colorado. The first time I went to Arkansas I wasn't sure if what I was seeing were hills or mountains. Having seen real mountains I thought they were just hills and if I kept driving I would get to the real mountains later. NOPE! Even in the Appalachians there are much more spectacular views than in the Ozarks

Decent football? New Mexico?? Kentucky??