Shorten game rule?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUFAN910, Sep 3, 2006.

1. LSUFAN910

LSUFAN910 Founding Member

I keep hearing about this new shortend game rule. I was wondering if anyone can explain to me what this is about...
    :geauxtige

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's about TV. They want games to not drag on into the next time slot so they have been pressuring for a quicker clock during games and this year they got it. The clock is re-started when the ref sees that the teams are ready and places the ball down, not when the ball is snapped as before. It speeds up the game.

The coaches were not asked and they hate it. It costs them 10 or 12 plays a game and we will see this season that it will become critical near the end of a game. A team will not be able to waste any time outs and must save them for the end game. A team that has scored and must kick off with 8 or 10 seconds left will just kick the ball out of bounds and leave the other team with no time for a last offensive play.

The fans were not asked. The average fan in the stadium thinks that all of the the lengthy TV time-outs are what causes a game to be stretched out.

Some major team will lose a game over this rule. I think this rule perhaps gets dropped or modified next year due to coaches objections.

3. ChuckM

ChuckM Founding Member

Its about when the clock starts at different times in the game, intended to quicken the games pace.

Here's a link to a few of the changes, amoung them, the clock changes:

http://www.afca.com/lev2.cfm/283

Chuck
    :tigerhead

4. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

I think it has alot to do with the emergence of instant replay too. With adding instant replay you are posibble tacking on an addtional 5 to 10 mintues.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

It's all about $$ for the networks.

I don't have the confidence Red does that it will be done away with or modified. The networks pushed hard for the over the objection of the coaches, but it got done any way.

I do hope he is right though.

6. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

According to espn radio this morning, someone "measured" 15 games this weekend compared to 15 games to start the season last year and there was a 9 play difference on average ... total, not per team.
    I know I saw something early on that suggested a 13-14 play difference with the rule changes... and that may still hold true over the season.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Also, would we have probably had time to score last night on RP's series had the clock not been running like gangbusters?

8. LSUFAN910

LSUFAN910 Founding Member

Thanks for the information everyone. I kept hearing about the new rule and I didn't remember seeing any information on it. Thanks for the heads up.
    :geauxtige

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

It had somewhat of an effect on the Kenyucky/Louisvilee game last night. At the end of the first half, UK lost about 10 seconds off the clock for their first snap. I'm not sure I like this rule. This will cost one of the media darlings eventually, and then all hell will break loose.

10. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

The Bluegrass Miracle would not have happened under the new rules.

LSU had 10 seconds after the kick to get off two plays. The first play took 8 seconds to get the team to the 25 and call time-out. Under the new rules, at least 2 seconds would have run off the clock before Marcus Randall could have called the first snap.

Under the new rule, a team will not even have to take the snap to kneel on the ball to end a game after a turnover--no more Miracle at the Meadowlands either.

Then again, maybe Les Miles was ahead of his time for trying to call a timeout after the interception late in last year's Tennessee game.

All in all, the rule stinks.

GEAUX TIGERS