Shorten game rule?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUFAN910, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Don't like the new rule. I think the game saturday ended in under 3 hours.

2. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

I like what Flutie said about shortening the game. "if you want to shorten the game, shorten the game. Make the quarters 13 or 14 minutes instead of 15."
    That would make more sense, which is why it wasn't done.
    Also, they could shorten the tv commercials.

3. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

I believe the coaches were just a little to apathetic and now they have to contend with the changes. You should never take it for granted that the other guy is taking care of you.

4. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

I'm in favor of having these games end a little sooner, but I wonder why they didn't make a simple change that makes sense to me... implement the NFL rules about first-downs (in other words, don't stop the clock for every first down if the player is tackled in the field of play). I wonder how much time that would shave off of the typical game?

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Notice this ESPN game tonight is taking a longgggg time. It's all about how many commercials there are...

6. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

That bomb by Iowa may not have happened either... I don't like the rule, I saw that the game this Saturday lasted 2 hours and 46 minutes... That's short for football.

If it's not broke don't fix it.

7. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

I hate the new rule.... but,

After seeing JaMarcus Sat night, I think this rule works in LSU's favor. LSU has the arm and the receivers to be a quick strike offense when needed. I believe our game plan will be to pound the rock at all times until the defense decides they want to dedicate their night to stopping it. Then, .................................................................................................................wsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Air strike: Bombs all night. TD TD TD TD.

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Hey!! (lol)... and Broussard's run at the end of the first half may not have happened... or even your second late TD, given the time left.
    Anyway, the rule is going to bite someone big time this year at the most inopportune time.

9. Blade Brown

Blade Brown Founding Member

I've heard this before. But wouldn't that be an illegal procedure? You can't end the game with a penalty against the defense/kicking team, right?

I would imagine if that happened the recieving team would get the ball at the 35yrd line and have one play to heave it downfield, with no time left on the clock.

Either way, the new rule stinks. If they want to speed the game up, quit having the officials review plays and let the coaches take a chance when they feel it to be neccessary, like in the pros. The Miami/FSU game had at least 4 or 5 needless reviews (all calls were upheald) and not only did it slow down the game, but also took momentum away from the team that had the ball.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I would imagine that too. But that is much better than the opponent getting the ball with ten seconds with a chance to return it or run it out of bounds with a chance to get two offensive plays in.