Should businesses be allowed...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 3, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Refuse to serve blacks and you will be a federal criminal. Why should it be different for any other group?

Winston1 likes this.
  2. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

If a businessman refused to serve blacks, he should be a bad businessman, who probably won't be able to make it. He would be an idiot committing financial suicide, not a criminal. Ideally the market would take care a lot better than government protection. However ideal isn't an really an option anymore is it?

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Freedom has limits.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

If the pickle kissers didn't dress like high school girls and go all overly dramatic with the antics then we probably wouldn't know they were pickle kissers. Effing drama queens, stop acting like a bunch of fucking pansies and I'm sure they could grab a beer damn near anywhere they want to, then they can go home and kiss pickles and no one has to deal with it.

gyver likes this.
  5. red55

Dude, racial discrimination is a federal crime! Businesses cannot choose to serve only races that please them.

LSUMASTERMIND and LSUpride123 like this.
  6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

7. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I do believe that a private business should have the final say as to who they choose to serve. As many of you have stated, not selling to someone based on any of the superficial reasons listed above would be suicide for the business owner, at least in most parts of the country. I asked people to leave my stores before because of their behavior, I've informed customers that we would no longer be willing to do business with them because they were needlessly a pain in the ass and in neither case was I being discriminatory IMO. I've been accused of being everything but the son of God by customers and I never took it as them being discriminatory either....just the course of business sometimes.

If a wedding cake designer in Arizona doesn't want to make cakes for a gay wedding, then I would imagine they will certainly suffer the consequences given that every other wedding planner is gay. While I abhor that kind of hate and discrimination on a personal level, it is indeed a free country. As my grandfather used to tell me, "When your enemies ask for rope.....hand it to them and, with a smile, point them toward a good tree."

8. red55

I believe that a private contractor or a professional should be able to choose whom he chooses to do business with. But if you own a store that is open to the public, it is discrimination to then choose who you consider to be worthy members of the public based on race, creed, or nationality.

If someone makes trouble in the store, that is a different matter. But declining to sell a mattress to a lesbian is simply wrong.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It makes me sick to hear all the media mouths calling Michael Sam a hero because he said he is gay. The real heroes are guys like Jackie Robinson. Michael Sam could have just kept his mouth shut (unless he would rather give than receive) and nobody would know that he is an "opressed minority."
    Jackie Robinson didn't have the choice of saying "I just won't tell anybody that I'm black."

I did notice that during the media aftermath following Sam's announcement that most of the African American callers to sports talk shows did not consider him any kind of hero or role model

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The only difference I see is the times we grew up in and You can't really hide the fact that you are a non white race. If homosexually couldn't be hidden you think the Klan would have just passed them up?

Hate is hate, bigotry is bigotry regardless who the victim is.