Should conference divisions be eliminated?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

I heard a radio talking head propose this and thought it was interesting.

This year, one B10 division had three of the top six teams (Mich, Penn St, OSU). The SEC is crap this year, but in recent years the west had 3-4 teams that were better than the East champ.

What if divisions were eliminated, and the top two finishers just played each other in a conference title game? OSU and Penn St would have had a rematch instead of a big controversy. In 2011, the LSU-Bama rematch would have been in Atlanta rather than in the big game.

What say you?

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Wouldn't bother me at all. We get shafted on the schedule every season anyway.

TheRealist, furduknfish and mctiger like this.
  3. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

No perfect solution that is always fair but I would be ok with the 'No Division' idea. Assume that everyone would have a rotating schedule of SEC opponents for the regular season.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

They have been talking about this in the NBA for years. Doubt if we ever see it

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I find the discussion.....interesting. During the BCS era, when the SEC dominated, other conferences had no divisions, played each other regularly but were told "boo hoo" get more teams, get a CCG, and then maybe you can play, too.

Perhaps rather than eliminate divisions, there should be some thought to changing up the teams within the divisions or the rotation. Are SEC teams willing to give up that one "hated" rival game?

6. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

Hell I would rather have the gumps in the east, play them once a year like we do with the gaytors (maybe even give that game up, I know blasphemy) and then get to have possibly to shots at the ass holes. Nothing would make me smile more then beating them 2 times in a year.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Well, that question really applies to only one rivalry, plus a second to a lesser extent. It's all about Bama-UT, and since Bama is the tail that wags the dog, it ain't goin' anywhere.

Brian likes this.
  8. kluke

kluke Founding Member

The best idea I've seen is to eliminate divisions and still have an 8 game conference schedule. Each team keeps 3 permanent opponents (for LSU say it could be TAMU, Old Piss, and the gumps) and the rotate the other 10 with home and away schedules. Top 2 play for title. That way a 4 year SEC player would play every team at least twice and play in every venue at least once. Every team can keep cross conference match up at a permanent. So Bama-Tenn; Auburn - GA is no longer an issue.

TheRealist and Winston1 like this.
  9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I'm pretty happy with our schedule and wouldn't want to lose games with sec w teams. I also enjoy having UF annually. No one else in the east really interests me. Maybe UGA or Tenn?

didit likes this.
  10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Least you're not bitter...

lsu-i-like likes this.