Should conference divisions be eliminated?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Don't laugh .The combination of greed and our generations being raised under 'everyone gets a trophy' makes this all too plausible.

furduknfish likes this.
  2. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

They have to do something the idea that a team can be a national champion without being a division or conference champion is ridiculous to me.

TheRealist likes this.
  3. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

Works pretty good for fcs and high school

4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

There isn't much excitement around FCS outside of a few schools, which are jumping to fbs. High School is a little different. An 8 team playoff would be fine. Anything more takes away from the bowls, a totally unique institution.

5. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

Agree with going over 8. But the reason is there is no excitement with fcs is because they are fcs and there are bigger boys out there. I do think that 8 team playoff would be as high as I would go but I was really pointing out it doesn't "destroy the regular season" like some fear it would.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Then why does Florida want to keep their game with LSU if it's all Bama and UT? Or, why do UGA and AU fans want to keep their game if it's all about Bama and UT? UF and UGA ...

uscvball likes this.
  7. lsu-i-like

I don't like the SEC in bHam, and Bama grads with their fingers on buttons, but I don't understand the angst over legacy games. LSU v UF is a fairly long running matchup, and preserving the longest running of these is what cfb is all about IMO. I love almost all of our annual matchups with the secw. One thing I didn't realize before looking into it is how many of these games MooU is involved in.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Legacy games, who gives a fuck. Arkansas played Texas for a long time, that's over, Texas played A&M for a long time, longer than UF and LSU and that's over. Tradition means nothing. round robin is the way to go if more teams aren't added to the conference.

9. lsu-i-like

Apparently a lot of people give a fuck. I could see a hybrid, but too many people love the pageantry. LSU kind of misses out on the deepest of it. I guess absence could make the heart grow fonder. It does suck that we play some teams once every 10 years (at least it seems like that).

uscvball likes this.
  10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The vast majority of those who say that, have none.
    Those two schools have played a TOTAL of 15 times since 1900 and this is supposed to be a point against games like Bama vs UT who have played 99 times?
    Come on now, LaSalle. You're a fan of a school that's against adding one conference game and your solution is go round robin?