Should Matt Flynn have played?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tothetop12, Sep 17, 2006.

1. tothetop12

tothetop12 Freshman

Dont get me wrong here I am think Jamarcuss played a very good game. I thought he led the team well and think he should be the starting QB. Now that i said that...

I think sometime late in the third quarter or early in the 4th it might have been worth a shot to put Matt Flynn in for a series or two. Not that Jamarcuss wasn't playing well but we had no running game and obviously weren't scoring any points. I thought maybe put Flynn in to atleast give Auburn a look at a mobile QB. ala LSU-UT sec championship. Or use him like Florida uses Tebow. Flynn has proven to be a good player so its not like sticking an fresh face out there. He might have thrown off the Defense a little bit. And if he doesnt do anything so be it, we weren't scoring anyway.

I dont think it was a bad move by any means to leave Jamarcuss in just wondering if anyone else thought this was worth a shot.

2. stk

stk Founding Member

No. Definitely not. Putting Flynn in for some reps against ULL is one thing, but Auburn in a 4th quarter situation with urgency to lead the offense? No thanks.

I think if Flynn was the starter he would be a good QB to play against this kind of team as he would provide a real running and passing threat just like Matt Mauck did. Either way at this point JR is the better QB and the coaches made the right call by leaving him in the game.

Now some of their play calling in the 4th quarter was suspect, but that's the way it goes.

3. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

no.

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Absolutely! I said this during the game. He should have went in during the 3rd quarter. It was clear that Russell's pro-style quarterbacking was not getting the job done. No reflection on JR. Flynn's all-purpose style would have given the offense a new look.

5. chele

chele Founding Member

I was thinking this same thing today. Use Flynn in kinda the same way that Georgia used DJ Shockley a couple years ago. Two quarterback systems don't typically work, and Jamarcus should remain our starter, but a series or two for Flynn, especially when the offense is stagnant, couldn't hurt anything.

6. tothetop12

tothetop12 Freshman

thats what i was thinking. i mean we scored 3 points. Given Auburn a new look atleast for a few plays coulda been worth a shot

7. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

No, its not like there were many running lanes for JR to run in anyways, Flynn would not have been much more affective, he's easier to tackle than JR anyways. and JR defitnely showed me some running moves in that game that i have never seen before, and there's no telling what Flynn would have done without a running game like he had against Miami, Personally i trust JR with a game of this magnitude rather than a backup who only has one game against decent competition to his name.

8. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

Obviously we should use 2 QB's. I mean just look how well it worked out for Tenn. . .

Seriously now, JR is not the reason our offense was stagnet or why we lost the game. He and our WR's were the ONLY thing keeping us in the game. Besides, do you think Flynn could have lead us from our own 20 to inside the 5 yard line in 1:12 seconds? Possibly, but JMarc is one of the best big play/pressure QB's.

If you want to look for someone to swap out, don't look at the QB position. Look at the RB position. Why did NONE of our freshman RB's not get the nod when it was obvious our starters were doing nothing?

9. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It wouldn't have hurt to tried him for a few plays.

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Look guys. Jarmarcus Russell is our starting qb PERIOD. We are 16-3 when he starts for Gawd sakes and we will win or lose with him. MF and RP will only get into the game when we're way ahead. Get used to it. It will be that way until JR graduates or leaves for the NFL.

Man, I'm so glad you Monday morning QB aren't LSU coaches.