Should Players Be Paid?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

This is probably a worn out topic but I just saw an interesting article in Sports Illustrated and some quotes from several SEC players at last week's SEC Media Day. The link is:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/mike_fish/08/03/straight.shooting/index.html

Edit #1......this link didn't work. I will try to get it corrected. (yes rickyd, I can edit) :grin: :grin:

Edit #1.....it's fixed. Now if I can only learn to delete posts :grin: :grin:

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think they should be given a small stipend, nothing much. Our coach wanted the BCS to add the plus one championship game and have all the extra money go to NCAA athletes. Nick usually puts a whole lot of thought into these things before he talks about them and he knows the situations better than we do, that's for sure. I think that would be a very good idea. Most people say that they shouldn't get paid since they are getting a free education and that is invaluable. I agree the schollarship is a great thing but I also think that when you take poor kids and put them in an environment like at LSU and they do not have any spending money at all you are creating a pretty big problem. They could even base the amounts on how much the parents make or something.

I read a story once about this and it was a pretty grim tale of how a young college guy could never go out with any of his friends due to not having a penny to his name, he was too proud to let them pay for him; how he had to stay at school during all of the holidays as his parents couldn't afford to come get him. The cafeteria was closed during the holidays so he used to gather all of the food supplies he could before the break and hide it in his room so that he would have something to eat. I am not sure if things are still set up like that put if they are I can imagine that there are still guys and gals around the country who still do the same thing.

3. Proud Tiger

cajdav1......there was a similar case to that recently at NY Univeristy. Some guy was sleeping in some storage room in the library as I recall. After they caught him, they ended up giving him a scholly.

Paying the players is a tough one. I see pros and cons. The onthing that annoys me some is that some of them don't appreciate that they are being paid by receiving a free education. That's not chicken feed......not evn eagle
    feed :grin:

4. cajdav1

PT I agree, but you can't not give to the 98% that deserve it for the 2% that do not IMO. That would remind me of my damn 4th grade teacher, Sister Mar Agnes, used to punish the entire class for one guy being a little naughty.

5. Proud Tiger

That's probably because it was you and the class whipped up on you later :grin: :grin:

6. cajdav1

It was only me a few of the times, but yes, you're right. It was mostly because the girls would be mad at me. :D

7. Proud Tiger

Oh well from your avatar it looks like you are doing OK now. :grin: :grin:

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The student workers and graduate assistants who work in my lab all get paid for the time they work, even if they on on scholarships. I don't see why the athletes can't get paid $6-$9/hour like any other student worker for the time they spend practicing and in games. It is sure as hell work and it brings in $$$ for the university.

It's just a little spending money to keep them from being tempted by "$100 handshakes" from boosters that could get the school in trouble.

9. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

I would support a fixed monthly stipend for those athletes that remain "in good standing" with their grades/attendance, etc. The long-pole-in-the-tent though is that the stipend would need to be paid equitably (from a legal standpoint) to all athletes, regardless of gender or sport. Now you're talking big budget - all thanks to Title IX.

10. cajdav1

Cadillac, that's why Saban wanted to divide up the money from a plus one bowl game, so that it would be devided equally amongst all schools and all sports, as it has to be.