Should Players Be Paid?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Aug 4, 2004.

1. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

If they're piss broke why can't they get loans like 99% of the rest of the students on campus?

When you start adding up the benifits of the full ride scholly they are getting 'paid' quite a bit. Tutition, Fees, Housing, Meal plan, and Free Books probably come to a total of at least $4000 a semester.

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I seem to remeber a recent post by another poster here less than 6 months ago I think he broke it down pretty good. I feel no pity for the student athletes and don't see a reason to change. I know a few that graduated elsewhere and they weren't hurting.

School is expensive for the vast majority of students.

They do howwever pay people to play on Sunday's. Read the headlines and see how NCAA would end up in the Sh****r.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't know the rules about loans. But unlike the rest of the students on campus, scholarhip athletes are not allowed to find a part-time job to earn some pocket cash. Athletic sholarships put no cash at all into a players hands. Some real nice covered expenses, but no cash. Some of these players don't get any allowances from Mom 'n' Dad, aren't allowed to work for spending money, and are pretty much broke.

Ethan Martin declined his scholarship one year at LSU so he could work a part-time job to help support his family.

Let them earn some student worker money while on scholarship, I say. Any other student can, even those on full academic schiolaships.

4. ramah

ramah Founding Member

~O~N~L~Y~ Alabama players should get paid ...

yoo' know wut I "~M~E~A~N~S~ :hihi:

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

T ojust look at it like they should do what the other students do is just ignoring the obvious, that many of these kids don't have a nickel to their name, that they cannot get a part time job, that they put in way more hours than most due to regular studies, football practice and also watching fil, etc.

The system as it now only encourages them to except money illegally, which borrowing $20 bucks from a friend could be construed as. And 99% of these athletes will never make a penny playing pro sports, remember it would include swimming, diving, women's soccer, etc.

Just don't see how anyone could not be concerned about a youg guy going to college for 4 or 5 years without any spending money whatsoever, heartless IMO.

6. lsugrad00

Every student can get federal loans. %6 interest that doesn't start untill you graduate/quit is almost free. That's $3500 per semester that they can spend on anything they want.

So LSU should have supported Ethan Martin's family so he could play that year:confused: I understand these guys come from poor background but so do allot of other students. It's not the university's responsibility to support them.

I totally agree. Let them EARN some money don't give it to them. Student athletes can get jobs. Most don't have time to durring the fall, but they can durring the spring and summer.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ethan played, but as a walk-on with no scholarship. Scholarship athletes were not allowed to have jobs. And No, LSU could not support Ethans family without violating NCAA rules.

Strangely enough, though, Ethan's Mom got a better-paying job and he was able to quit his part-time job and accept his scholarship for his sophomore year. :wink:

8. lsugrad00

Amazing the way things work like that. I'm sure lots of start players parents magically get good paying jobs once their kids commit/play at a major university. :wink:

9. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I see we are starting to fiqure out the system.