Should this be LSU's new Quarterbacks coach???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by stevescookin, May 19, 2010.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Seems to be involved daily based on what I have seen and heard.

Tebow was just one of the QBs and I guess we will see how Brantly does but he did not do bad in his limited time on the field last year.

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Tebow already brought a lot to the table and played in a system that didn't require him to put up 200 passing yards in every game. Jefferson and Lee need help with, well, everything, including position fundamentals. With what should be an improved running game some pressure will be taken off the QB, but until one of them can show that he can successfully throw the ball, there's no secret about how defenses will play LSU. I'm not saying Jefferson or Lee have to be Heisman candidates, but I do think Gonzales is being asked to do more with less than what he had to work with at Florida, and may have a steep hill to climb.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I am not debating anything just showing that he has experience with QBs. He is not strictly the QB coach so I don't think we are asking too much of him. His main focus is still WRs and helping Crowton come up with the a game plan which can only get better based on last year's results.

He worked with other QBs at UF as well and the UF fans seem to think Brantley has developed nicely and he showed he was pretty good last year in limited playing time. He had to work with what he had at UF and that happened to be Tebow and great WRs.

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Co-coordinators? Red, you may be onto something here :thumb:

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Crowton is like the brother or sister in law you can't stand but you are stuck with for the time being.

6. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Crowton is far from a lost cause...give him a seasoned qb and I'll bet he does just fine.

People used to slag on Jimbo, people used to slag on Saban, people used to slag on Pelini. It's my recollection that Pelini wouldn't even talk to the press around B.R. he was so pissed at the idiots saying he didn't know what he was doing. The guys aren't coaches in the NFL and at major college programs because they don't know what they are doing. Sure there is room for improvement from play calling, game plan, etc. but all in all my point is:

It's not the x's and o's it's the jimmys and the joes...

Insert JL or JJ on that FL team instead of Tebow and how many championships do you think they would have won?

And just for the record, I'm not slagging on JL or JJ....I just happened to think everyone recognizes the Tebow was one of the best college qbs ever.....

I mean, that does help the cause, you know.

2 people like this.
  7. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Really good points.

My fear with the Crowton/Gonzales (and you could throw in Ensminger) set-up, as Red kind of eludes to, is too many cooks in the pot. It would make more sense to do what the NFL does and have a devoted QB coach. JJ seems like a guy who gets easily confused, so you can imagine how having different points of view shared with him may become contradictory and confusing. Of course, it may enhance as well, so we will just have to wait and see. I hope it does not pan out to be the disaster that the two headed defensive monster was. Spring ball looked pretty encouraging from what I saw and have read. It looks like our talent level is better this year, IMO, compared with last despite losing some senior leadership. And as Flabengal points out, talent is a HUGE factor. Hopefully, the QB position blossoms!

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think the nature of coaching, with all of the moves and job insecurity encourages most coaches to work well together as a team and collaborate to reach a goal that benefits everybody. But there must be one guy that has the responsibility to make a call when needed with no waffling and no dissent.

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

You are 100% correct. In this case one might be inclined to say that GC should be that one coach to make the ultimate decision, but based on the past poor performance of the offense I'm inclined to say it needs to be Miles. Ultimately it is his ars that is on the line, and he needs to make sure he has absolute control over every phase of this team.