Should we fear Auburn's defense this year?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SeN-SaTioN, May 24, 2006.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Chip, your wishful thinking bias is shining through again. For starters, any experienced CFB fan knows better than to make broad sweeping generalizations and predictions based upon what they see in the spring game. As with most teams, AU held many of its better players to minimal contact in the spring game and instead focused the playing time on younger players they are evaluating, specifically on the D-front.

I seriously doubt that McClover's presence will be missed very much at all. He played sluggishly for nearly the whole season last year until the Bama game. McClover was an above average pass rusher, but was a poor run stopper. If anything, the position will improve in his absence. Not a knock, just the truth. BTW - both Jackson and McClover went undrafted ...... do you really believe they were that critical to AU's defense? One might make an argument for Jackson in certain down/distance situations, but not McClover.

Neither will Booker's absence be felt, even if Cox were to be injured. Booker was an optimistic third string, hence the transfer. Blake Fields is a solid #2 backup in the same mold as Flynn. Not to say the loss of Cox wouldn't be felt, just pointing out that Booker's transfer to GT won't be an impact at all.

With Muschamp manning up on the outside, there'll be plenty of help against run. Hardly what I'd label as "vulnerable."

4 losses? .... I think you may be dreaming again :nope:

2. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Cadillac has mentioned many of the misconceptions so I won't go into very much detail...but basically.

Calvin Booker was 3rd string.

The last time we lost 4 of out front 7 and people thought we would be weak against the run we went 13-0. (After losing Dansby, McNeil, Thomas, Torbor, etc.)

And the linebackers making too many stops? Losing Jackson does hurt that...but McClover was a PASS RUSHER...he was never considered to be very good against the run so that shouldn't affect our rush defense. Groves and Gunn are better against the run, althougth may not be quite the pass rushers as when McClover was healthy.

I'm not expecting a national championship or anything...but I see us hopefully winning 10 games, and competing for the West title. And with any luck, winning the SEC and moving on to the BCS bowls.

3. Kjunsausage

Kjunsausage Founding Member

the you win at home we win at home will continue.

4. SeN-SaTioN

SeN-SaTioN Founding Member

To run Saban's defense well...you have to have a smart safety. I remember Marcus Spears giving props to Jack Hunt...and mentioning how he was sooooo glad that he didn't have to make the split second calls Jack had to make based on different looks the offenses were giving.

5. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I honestly don't have a burning issue about who wins the SEC West.
    Actually, it would be fine with me to see Auburn tear up Florida and South Carolina.

But regardless of the favorable home schedule, as I already said, I see Auburn losing 3 and possibly even 4 games.

The LSU - Auburn game will be huge, but don't underestimate Arkansas ending up with a 6-2 conference record.

6. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

Very true, and a poor choice of words on my part. I am sure he learned alot while there. Kind of like Miles, alot of people say he was "only" a TE coach with the cowboys, but that is a big time job being exposed to the highest level of football. My point was that I was surprised WM wasn't offered a promotion of some sort this past offseason, instead alot of hiring went on around him. the reason could be that Saban simply stocked his staff with top notch assistants that many veteran coaches would be under in the heirarchy. Capers will be a great DC I believe. Saban has 20+ asst coaches I think.

This being Wills first solo coordinator job and it will be interesting to see how far he has come since Saban hired him as a young guy who could learn to run his defense. Even though he called alot of the plays and handled alot of the DC functions at LSU (and did not have a "co" in his title), it is different when you do not have the architect to lean on. Will be fun to watch this fall.

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

:rofl:

yeah, that high school OC is going to come in and light up SEC defenses. :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis:

8. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Tubs has worked with a few good defenses of his own and knows his way around that side of the ball. I also recall that the entire defensive staff did not leave. AU's scheme will be different, but CWM will not be required to do this alone. There are some very capable coaches that will be providing input and molding the D to the particular talents that the current players have.

9. I. punctatus

I. punctatus Freshman

We've got several defensive linemen who didn't see much time in the spring that will be getting a lot of action in the fall. McClover was an excellent pass rusher, but we have two more guys in Groves and Gunn who are just as adept in that department.

We have some question marks along the interior of our defensive, but it's certainly not due to a lack of talent. Not to mention the fact that you better be able to score 20+,because our offense is going to be one of the best in the league. And yes, we do hope Cox stays healthy, but Booker wasn't the #2 guy. That's why he's transfering.

10. I. punctatus

I. punctatus Freshman

You're free to the opinion, and I know I'm biased but I don't see us losing more than 2 games this season unless we get hit hard with injuries. Our offense should be one of the best in the league. And y'all can say what you will about changing DC's, but Tuberville is a defensive coach so the D isn't going to change that much. We're still going to run a base 4-3 and use small speedy linebackers to cover the middle of the field. Our schedule sets up very nice for us this year. LSU has just as many question marks on their defensive front, not to mention the fact that they've got to find a running game. I'm glad we catch LSU early in the year. One thing I do agree on is that Arkansas will be much improved. I see them finishing 3rd in the SECW, and I wouldn't be totally surprised to see an upset against SoCal.