SI: Decoding Saban's diatribe on oversigning

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by cadillacattack, Feb 5, 2011.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

some were NQ's, yes, but many weren't, and that's the difference. Many SEC programs "oversign" a class with the understanding that there are planned Sign & Place recruits. These signees aren't the concern because most folks, including the athlete, understand they are going the JuCo route. Programs sign these NQ's so that they can continue to recruit them later on, in hopes they will one day be able to enroll.

Oversigning legitimate enrollees by one or two players can be explained by the uncertaintly that is CFB. Oversigning the same scenario by 10-12 enrolless just means you have a premeditated plan to cut your weakest scholarship players .... while having the added benefit of reducing your opponent's access to the same talent pool.

Doesn't matter if you feel this practice is right or wrong .... what matters is that the athletes themselves understand the numbers from the program that is recruiting them .... and they cannot do that if the program denies accessibility to those numbers.

Why do you think that alabama's rate of medical hardship waivers under Saban is higher than the other 11 SEC programs combined ?

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I think it's because he beats up his players.

But seriously, the big question is whether or not it is ethical to cut a kids scholarship because he isn't performing.

3. cadillacattack

JMO, I do not believe it would be considered unethical to cut a player who is on a one-year, renewable scholarship when doing so for legitimate, performance-based reasons.

However, it's the timing of the cuts and the transparency surrounding those cuts that are the issue. It's been suggested that some programs use the medical-hardship waiver as a ruse to hide their cuts so that they won't be criticized on the recruiting trail.

So , no ..... legitmately cutting a player who needs to "be gone" should be allowed, but IMHO it should also be transparent. A coach with a track record of cutting a high number of players to "make the number" is a direct reflection of the coach's loyalty to the player and his family.

These coaches are commiting to the parent(s) that they will turn their boys into men. Now, is it resonable to think the coach is going to accomplish that if his players are systematically being cut after the 1st or 2nd year? ($1 to Petey Smith)

We're not talking about NQ's here .... we're talking about SEC-capable players. They may not be the caliber of player that would start or provide depth at a program like LSU or Florida, but they would contribute at a place like Ole Miss or South Carolina, Vandy, Kentucky.

Bear Bryant has long been credited with mastery of playing keep-away from his brethren competitors when it came to the game of recruiting. I'm jes' sayin' .... losing six in a row to your in-state rival will make you do strange things. :insane: Just my dos centavos.

[​IMG]

4. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

For a man who should be festive and in a celebratory mood you seem awful bitter. Is it that Cyrus thing that's rubbing that raw spot? Surely you weren't paying any attention to that silly Charles Barkley interview on ESPN this week: "I love Auburn, but they are not in Alabama's league."

OK, help me out here, I'm just wondering why you're not all giddy from the thrill of it all. I hope you're not listening to all that stuff about "rental trophy" and "the first one given out that came with an expiration date." Just talk my friend, besides, if the worst does happen you'll be tied with SMU for first in something. And I understand the ncaa has some nice parting gifts you can substitute in your trophy case.

5. cadillacattack

tusk, good job of describing the fantasy world you're livin' in, .... but just like Saban, you're still avoiding the questions, eh?

6. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Uh, no cadillac, more to the point, someone is avoiding the answer. Let me break it down for you in movie lingo.

Either "what we have here is a failure to communicate,"
    or "you can't handle the truth."
    If we have a competitive advantage, then, "somebody stop me."

And I would look for that Saban confession right after Scam tells the world what dear ole dad really had to say.