SI gives LSU some credit

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu_dane, Aug 17, 2006.

1. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

I just recieved the Aug. 21st issue of Sports Illustrated in the mail today and was shocked to see LSU on the cover. Come to find out Chevis Jackson, LaRon Landry, and Ali Highsmith are on the cover in a special College edition of SI. They had 6 teams chosen for the cover (Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, USC, West Virginia and LSU) and each one was distributed by Region.

If it's not nice enough to see LSU on the cover, SI has LSU ranked no.4 ahead of USC. (Top 5: Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, LSU, USC) Even nicer than that is SI's prediction of how the SEC will shake down at the end of the season. They have both LSU and Auburn going 7-1 but LSU winning the tie breaker and going on to play Florida in the SEC Championship Game. They pick LSU to win it.

While I think SI has Notre Dame overrated (heck everyone has ND overrated in my eyes) it is nice to see LSU break the top 5 and be picked to beat out Aurburn this season by a national publication.

2. www.six3.us

www.six3.us Founding Member

don't get too excited... it's only a REGIONAL COVER.

refer to wallpaper thread for front cover shot.

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

That's cool; alot of folks around here seem to think Notre Dame isn't all that. Notre Dame is back. I guess we'll see this season. They may not be national championship material, but I expect them to be at least LSU 2001 material.

4. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

lol. I already mentioned that it was regional but there certainly could have been Aurburn on the cover instead of LSU. How much would you have enjoyed SI parading Aurburn around as the SEC team to beat? I'm more excited to see a top 5 ranking and a prediction to win the SEC Championship.

5. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

notre dame can get all the hype they want but if they play defense this year like last year then they are in for some trouble.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I thought the Barners would be upset, but they are saying that this year the Sports Illustrated cover jinx is on LSU! :grin:

7. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

It was a regional cover for the top 6 teams. Notice - We did not get an Ole Miss preview. So yes it was regional, but because we are a top 6 team.

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

6 different covers?? I can remember when SI only put their dreaded curse on one team... now 6 get the kiss of death.:shock:

9. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Well, Vince broke the curse last year. He was on the cover last year all by himself.

10. pheroy

pheroy Founding Member

Having recently gotten a sub to SI, I was really curious if I'd get the LSU cover here in Durham, NC - I did! I figured WVU would be the only other possibility and is a little closer to NC than LSU is. Very nice.