SI: Top 10 players in the SEC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Aug 22, 2006.

1. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

Darby didn't make it? I may be a homer but I'm thinking that he's the most underrated player in the SEC...

2. TigrinumMajor

TigrinumMajor Founding Member

Darby would be lucky to crack the two deep depth chart at Auburn, Arkansas or LSU.

He's a decent back, but pales in comparision to some of the others in the division.

3. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I agree, while Darby is a good back......he is no better then a healthy Vincent and Broussard or Mcfadden and Irons.

Like TM said, if Darby played for LSU, ARK, or AU, he would be lucky to be the #2 back.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't know . . . when Darby is healthy he's a dangerous back.

5. geauxscott

You're right he is..... but do you really think a healthy Darby would start over a healthy Broussard , Mcfadden, or Irons?????

maybe me saying "he'd be lucky to be the #2 back" is pushing it a little, but he would be no higher than the #2 on these 3 teams.

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

A few notes on this...

First of all, considering how highly Saban rated him when LSU was recruiting him some of these comments are a bit disingenuous.

Secondly, it has been pointed out from Bama fans and rivals alike that the offensive line has been weak point over the past several years. In fact, once again, when people look at Alabama one of the things they point to is a "suspect offensive line." Yet, despite that offensive line, Darby trailed only Irons in total rushing yards last season. (averaged more per carry)

I realize he doesn't receive as much publicity as some of the other backs in the SEC and there is good reason for that. He only accounted for 3 rushing touchdowns last year. That statistic is deceiving since Bama went to a comletely different package in goal line situations and Tim Castille was used in the RB position the majority of the time.

If you put Darby behind the OL at Auburn, gave him the same amount of carries, he would have ended up with more yards than Irons. Same with Addai and Broussard doesn't even belong in this conversation at this point because (based on last year) he is unproven. (I'm not discounting the '04 stats with Broussard...even though he was the 10th leading rusher in the SEC he did avg. more yards per carry than anyone else...but, until he is back on the field one never knows...)

He's set to become the all-time leading rusher in Alabama history with a little over 1100 yards this coming season. Considering the company he's with, that is a statement in itself.

Quite frankly, assertations like "he wouldn't start on this team or that one" is only a subjective assumption. I could just as easily say "Broussard or McFadden wouldn't have started at MSU last year" because Norwood was a heck of a RB.

All that said, every running back mentioned here is a good one...to that, there is no doubt. It's just as important to note that every running back mentioned here has qualities and sets of skills others don't have, and vice-versa.

7. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Move Leak out.
    Darby is a really good back, Id put him on there.
    Rice should be number 1.

8. geauxscott

Well, its just my opinion. I know Darby's accomplishments and what he's capable of. If had to choose a running back to come to LSU my order would be Mcfadden or Irons, then Darby. I wouldn't trade a healthy Broussard for Darby either. Its just my opinion on the backs and I completely see where you were coming from and understand your point of view. You like Darby and understandably, I think Darby is a great back and am not in anyway saying he's not. My initial comment of "he'd be lucky to be in the 2 deep" was a little exagerated and after rethinking I corrected myself.

The quality of RB's in the West is out of this world. To be considered by someone to be the 4-5th best back in this division, doesn't mean much......because that same guy is probably considered the best back by many others. To each his own.:thumb: :thumb:

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

IFf Meyer decides to do what he did in the last part of the '05 season and go with a more traditional offensive approach (I- formation, TE set) and utilize Leak as more of a pro-set QB he'd deserve to be on this list. I don't see Meyer as being the type of coach (as in his own impression of himself) to abandon his spread/option attack.

Interestingly enough on Rice...considering he received offers from UT, Syracuse and South Carolina it certainly seems he made the right choice of schools and once again the star system misses yet another. (3 star with Scout.com)

10. TigrinumMajor

TigrinumMajor Founding Member

Agreed. You have yours and I have ours and we wouldn't trade one for the other.

But Irons and Lester are both better backs than Darby.