Sick of Randall bashing

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerStagg, Feb 24, 2004.

1. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

so let's all agree to disagree... but as a unified TigerNation, let's call out anyone who "bashes" any member of our Tiger Family

2. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

Great Post TigerStagg....(first post)

I have been posting the same general idea on just about every thread that bashes Randall......glad to see not everyone is writing him off.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I don't have the time to search for some of the Randall bashing threads and I'm not sure if his character has ever been challenged. However, I think there's a fine line between stating your opinion in a respectful manner vs. "bashing" a fine young man like Randall.

For example, I'm hoping JaMarcus will be the man next year. Mostly because of the hype I've heard and the potential of next year's offense with him at the helm. However, I'm not going to attack Randall by criticizing his play over the last two years.

I remember one of your (Fightin Tiger) recent posts when you said you "guarantee" LSU will not win the national championship next year with Randall as QB and that Randall can't improve from one year to the next. IMO, that's slightly over the line (but not malicious). Randall is a very similar QB to Mauck and can win with great skill players and a dominant D like Mauck had. Also, to think players can't improve from one year to the next (like Rohan) indicate that you've never played organized sports in your life. Hell, he improved drastically over the course of the 2002 season alone. His play in mop-up roles this year is irrelevant. The spring will be huge in establishing a pecking order. Like many have said before, let's just trust Saban & Jimbo on this one. I think they've earned our trust.

4. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

I will be the first to say that Marcus Randall is not my first choice to be the starting qb next year. Is that bashing him? I think not.

I look at the Randall situation as such (and TE knows, because we debated this on a thread after the La Tech game last year for a week), the guy did not perform this year when given the opportunity to do so. Don't give me the "he was in with the second string all the time" comeback because that is not true. Also, he went up against the first team defense in practice (who was pretty much the best D in the nation last year), so most of the defense he faced last year he should have been able to handle. Fact is the team stalled when he was in last year, even with Saban calling passing plays for him.

The unknown in this equation is how ready/good are the two phenoms for next year? That is why we have spring ball to sort it out. Anyway it goes, I will support Saban's decision for the starting QB come gameday against Oregon State.

If it is not Randall, I hope he has a chance to play elsewhere (i.e. another position like Devrey did or Webster is doing).

So, in conclusion, if you term "bashing" as what I just discussed, you need to relook at the term bashing in the dictionary. I would call it pessimism about Randall if anything else.

Good day to all of yall.

:)

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I totally agree with you "FightinTiger". If you're tired of the Randall bashing then stay off the board. Fans are gonna express their opinions. I happen to think Randall is the lesser of three talented quarterbacks. Nobody is gonna change their view of Randall because TigerStagg says to. Randall can only change the way people think of him by doing well on the field, which hasn't happened yet. I'm sick of people being so sensitive when others express their dislike for a player or coach. Get over it, there are thousands of LSU fans, we aren't all gonna like every player that puts on the purple and gold. It would be nice if that were the case, but it's not gonna happen. People like TigerStagg wants everyone to agree with his opinions and if they don't he raises hell.

Sorry to break it to you, but there aren't guidelines to being a "real fan". Real fans come in all different shapes and sizes and have different personalities and opinions. If I talk smack about a certain player, that doesn't make me any less of a fan than you. That's ridiculous. Maybe I think you're not a true fan because you only want whats best for Randall and not the team.

6. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

Ahhhh. It’s almost as if nobody read what I wrote.

Like any of you have ever seen Russell or Flynn throw a pass or know how good Randall is on 2/24/04. Your opinion doesn’t amount to much after all does it, opinion boy. Call it what it is then, an uneducated guess.

I hope Russell comes out like John Elway and ends any controversy altogether. That’s not the point. The point is that for anyone to say Randall sucks, LSU can’t win with him, that is plain stupid. They won with him 2 years ago.

I was referring to posts that carry a certain ‘the sky is falling/Randall is the antichrist’ tone, like the one I pasted earlier in this thread.

And when I say ‘real fan’ I’m referring to those who don’t strut around on this board like they know more than they do, talking crap about players that are laying it on the line for the tigers.

So you don’t like Randall huh. That’s great. Well you root against him for your own personal reasons. I’ll root for him because I want the squad to be as strong as it can be. I’m comfortable on my side of the fence. And if it works out that Randall leads this team to a great year, the nay-sayers will be hard to come by. Just like the Davey-haters and the Mauck-haters of yesteryear and there were plenty. That’s my OPINION.

7. LSUfan4life

LSUfan4life Founding Member

i don't know what everyone is so worried about it's not like we had an awesome quarterback last year and we still won it all Mauck was good but even he didn't make the best decisions or throws on earth:geaux:

8. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

9. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Mauck was the most efficient QB in the SEC. Mauck was known for his good decision making and protcting the ball. What are you talking about?

10. ramah

ramah Founding Member

An undefeated and #2 ranked LSU QB'd by Marcus Randall will roll into Athens, Georgia for the biggest game of the year in the SEC.

This will be Randall's make or break game in 2004.

Chisel it in the finest granite ... this will come to pass ... I know it will be so, the hairs on my neck stand up when I even think about it.

It's gonna be one helluva war. Marcus pulls us through and he's the man for the rest of the ride ...

the crystal ball is black after the GA game.