Six Months to Go Until The Largest Tax Hikes in History Six Months to Go Until The Largest Tax Hikes

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Jul 2, 2010.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Re: Six Months to Go Until The Largest Tax Hikes in History Six Months to Go Until The Largest Tax H

News by definition is generally considered liberal by most people because most Americans are conservative in nature. Real news reports the facts and any reasonably educated person is able to decipher the spin from the facts. That being said, I don't have a list of news sites that I read every day. I will research a topic and then dig a bit into the sources I have found for bias. There is no sure-fire website that you can fall back on every time.

The NYTimes is almost always a good read. The liberal slat that everyone is fond of accusing them is generally in the OpEd section. That's not news; It's opinion. Blogs usually fall under the same but a lot of them are able to make available information that the big papers won't generally touch because they're not politically influenced.

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia
    Home | AlterNet (Independent media)
    Miller-McCune Online (Independent media)
    Economist.com
    FactCheck.org

That's a good start, but you still need to turn on your spin-filter and glean the facts...

My only problem is with you spreading bull**** under the guise of educating people and presenting your argument with logic. You posted a link to an article from a website created in 1985 under the direction of Ronald Reagan. It's a GOP-centric website that is not5 interested in presenting anything fatual so much as it is interested in presenting GOP spin. It took me literally fifteen seconds to come to that conclusion. Once again we fall prey to your intellectual laziness.

It's only argumentative because you refuse to accept the facts. Calling water wet is argumentative if someone feels like arguing against the obvious, but that doesn't make their point valid. Such is your problem...

All you have to do is find the "About Us" link that every website shows somewhere on the title page. Nine times out of ten that will tell you all yo9u need to know. If it still doesn't, they will inform you as to whom started the website. A quick Google search will usually tell all. It's simply a matter of whether or not you value that information. You obviously do not.

No, sorry. The world is not black and white. It's not always "right" or "wrong". Only a Sith deals in such absolutes. ;)

There are alwasy those who disagree with common sense. See Jim Jones, David Koresh, Charles Manson, George W. Bush, etc. for excellent examples.

No, it's not my rule of thumb. It's THE rule of thumb. It's Politics 101. You get your side of the masses riled up with bulls**** talking points about how it's the worst of something. Classic two-party divide and confuse.

Journalism is fine. The readers are the problem. We have larger subscription pools to rags like People and Newsweek and less to intellectual sources like The Economist. The information is out there. The problem is that people form an opinion and then go looking for information to back them up instead of researching the entire argument and then coming to a logical conclusion.

It's difficult for me to read this and keep a straight face. I just wanted you to know this. Thanks...

That's not my point and it was not yours either. The title of the (for lack of a better word) "article" you posted was that it was the worst ever. It very clearly is not. In fact, I doubt that it's the worst of my generation.

2. MLUTiger

Re: Six Months to Go Until The Largest Tax Hikes in History Six Months to Go Until The Largest Tax H

I wanted to add that if I thought your were stupid, I'd ignore you. You're obviously intelligent, but for whatever reason you don't go that extra step to verify your source. I don't know why, but if you want to be one of the few informed you're going to have to so better. It just takes an extra couple minutes per link.

[​IMG]

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxtopics/2010_budget_high-income.cfm
    The TPC is funded by the Brookings Institute (widely considered the most independent of the Washington Think Tanks) and The Urban Institute (founded by President Johnson in 1960).

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I don't know about others but it certainly isn't anywhere near carte blanche with me. It's really the thing that surprises me the most about Obama. I don't know if we should pull out or wait longer or whatever but he ran on the principal of ending the wars and now doesn't seem to be following through. Makes me wonder if these war briefings are much scarier than you and I can possibly know and war spending needs to be carte blanche. I don't know.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_York_Times
    New York Times
    According to a 2007 survey by Rasmussen Reports of public perceptions of major media outlets, 40% believe The Times has a liberal slant and 11% believe it has a conservative slant.[78] In December 2004 a University of California, Los Angeles study gave The Times a score of 73.7 on a 100 point scale, with 0 being most conservative and 100 being most liberal.[79] The validity of the study has been questioned by various organizations, including the liberal media watchdog group Media Matters for America.

Alternet-First article I looked at here
    A Radicalized GOP Might Take Over Our Government: Do Voters Realize What's at Stake? by Steve Benen who is a frequent guest on MSNBC and was an intern for Bill Clinton
    Steve Benen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miller McCune
    Sara Miller McCune founder of Sage publications, Miller McCune magazine and the website you gave.
    Quote:
    "The Foundation is most concerned with supporting creative grassroots programs which focus on capacity building and social justice. Our priority is to fund projects creating a social or societal change, rather than individual empowerment or development of leadership skills in individuals. Our preference is for programs in which those involved remain in the community and affect public policy."
    http://www.mccunefoundation.org/
    Clearly a Liberal philosophy here.
    Well I checked out the first 3 sites you gave and they seem deceitful in one way or another.
    The website I listed don't hide behind a curtain like some of yours.
    I will be honest and say I checked their facts with yours, some were the same and some weren't.
    I didn't check out the rest of your sites for the time being including the graph you provided below.
    Well common sense tells me that you listed Bush and didn't list Carter or Obama.
    I wonder why?
    It is now clear to most people that Obama doesn't have much common sense either when it comes to various things such as responding to a spill, meeting with BP president, raising taxes, health taxes, possibly cap and trade in this economy.
    He thinks there are 57 states and he doesn't know whos ass to kick?
    Common sense tells me that is not the case when observing.
    I think a large section of America would disagree with you.
    You are the one who brought it up not I.
    Common sense tells me this is the case.
    I am in no way trying to be harsh here either, I am only debating, no hard feelings or anything.
    I am trying to show I have no attitude towards you but I think you come off to strong or harsh when talking to people.

5. Sourdoughman

You are not getting the whole picture here!
    The website I listed talks about the Health Care Tax as well as the Bush Tax cuts.
    I would be dancing in the streets and sending you your favorite drink if I believed what you have stated here was the worst we have to look forward too.

Again, When talking to others in this thread I have pointed out that this link and my concern is the Bush tax Cuts expiring along with taxes from Pelosi Care starting around the same time in this economy.
    Then if god help us all, If Cap and trade is implemented, VAT tax possibly because of the debt?
    Someone has to pay for the out of control spending in DC?
    Or am I wrong here?

So I am thinking ahead of most of you here!
    I look ahead obviously some of you don't I guess?:confused:

6. Sourdoughman

LINK
    With the US trapped in depression, this really is starting to feel like 1932 - Telegraph

The US workforce shrank by 652,000 in June, one of the sharpest contractions ever. The rate of hourly earnings fell 0.1pc. Wages are flirting with deflation.
    "The economy is still in the gravitational pull of the Great Recession," said Robert Reich, former US labour secretary. "All the booster rockets for getting us beyond it are failing."

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Im leaning that way as well, that it has to be a reason he isn't pulling out right away and its not political.

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

It's definitely not political. He's doing what he thinks is best. Now it may have been political when he was running his campaign in that he may have known to pull out was not possible but ran on that premise anyway because it was a hot button issue.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Definitely true, politics as usual.

10. MLUTiger

I'm sorry, did you really just use Wikipedia as a reference and then question my sources in the same post?

On top of that, you posted a poll about what people beleive which doesn't mean horse****. People believe that the war in Iraq had something to do with Al Qeada attacks on September 11, 2001.

And?

Exactly what is wrong with supporting creative grassroots programs? Funding projects that create social change? Affecting public policy? Only you could read a vague statement and come away screaming LIBERAL!

Well, you and Sabanfan...

What specifically was deceitful?

Because I have to stop listing people at some point and finish my sentence. Dropping an "etc" at the end allows for you to insert whatever relevant public figure who mislead people on an epic scale on your own time. You obviously got the gist of what I was saying since you chose to attack who I didn't list instead of arguing against the analogy.

See, this is where you don't do yourself any favors. Arguing that a sitting President who is obviously extremely intelligent is lacking in common sense. How is anyone supposed to take what you say seriously when you make remarks like that?

I don't disagree with you. I am much more intelligent than a very large section of America.

Now you're just running around in circles.
    And now you're just throwing words together in an attempt to tie your post together to seem lighthearted and witty.

It's not working.
    I have little patience for people who choose to be ignorant. If I seem harsh, well get over it. You're an adult. I speak plainly and to the point because I see no need to waste time and typing on meaningless pleasantries.

You need to open your mind, but we both already know that's not going to happen...