Sizing up the SEC West....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by danky, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I just don't understand the mantra that we're 'such a young team' after having that very monicker in 2004. Yes, I know we're losing some key players upfront. But hello, skill positions are the ones that youth hit you the hardest...and we've got most of them returning. This is far from a young team. But whatever, let them think that. It'll make the disappointment that much greater come fall.
    They're right, we do have a problem. It's called deciding which stud QB we're going to let shred their defense. Then our 'QB problem' becomes their problem.

2. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

They did have alot of losses though, I believe. Correct me if I am wrong, but off the top of my head I thought they lost 3 WRs (both of those with the long names), their TE (Mix?) and both OTs. On defense I believe they lost 6 starters but not sure who is lost and who is returning.

The big thing to me is the 3 WRs, TE and the 2 OTs, basically you have the QB left over from the passing game. We have seen how difficult it is to get a good consistent passing game going with young players, I expect Auburn to also have a difficult time being consistent enough to pose a real threat passing, so teams will try and shut down the run game and force their hand.

Based on all of this, IMO if we can run the ball effectively we'll win.

3. tiger386

tiger386 Freshman

Has everyone forgotten about Bama? 16-13 in OT, Bama's defense is tough. Did you guys see what they did to Texas Tech's supposedly prolific offense? Shut them down!!!! I don't know what Bama has coming back this year. I know they will have QB issues with Croyle gone. It should be out of LSU, AUB, and ALA for the west title. Arkansas is getting better, they have a pretty impressive RB, a true freshman. Anyway, the SEC is always wide open. We will have to see what happens:geauxtige

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The question marks on defense come at the Mike, FS and SS position. Although, both the Mike and FS had quite a bit of experience last year. The DL is the best DL I've seen at Bama in the last decade and overall, the speed on defense is better than last year.

On offense...it'll come down to two things. One, will the OL be able to contain SEC DL's...and two, the QB. With the QB it comes down to "not losing games" with bad decisions. A lot of people are putting a huge question mark over the QB position. It'll be more sound than the pundits tend to credit.

...desperately need a punter.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Better than the Jarrod Johnson, Kindel Moorhead Days?

I saw Jeffrey Dukes in the A Day game, he is for real.

6. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

Bama lost: (starters)
    Offense- Croyle

Defense- Anderson, Griffin, Ryans*, Roach, Harper, Madison, Peprah

On offense, dispite losing Croyle, should be better. Offensive lineman are bigger and more expierenced. Line should do better. RB postion is loaded with Darby, Johns, Coffee. Both FB's McClain and Castille are back as seniors.

On defense, losing Ryans hurts the most. LB will be a question mark. WLB Simpson and SLB Jones are solid and expierenced but MLB will be an area of concern.

D-line will be just as good if not better. Gilberry and Clark return and Greenwood and Lee played valuable minutes last year. Deep at Dline.

Safties are good but it's no Peprah and Harper back there.

Have corner Castille (nickle last year) and return Robinson from last year.

7. TigerPrideLSU

TigerPrideLSU Founding Member

Bama's D will still be good, but it'll be real hard to replace players like DeMeco Ryans, Charlie Peprah, and Freddie Roach.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Yes. The biggest reason it will be better than that line (can't forget Kenny King) is the depth factor. There is no drop-off between the 1's and 2's in the RDE, LDE and RDT positions. There is a battle right now at the 2 spot behind the LDT between two guys that red-shirted last year. Both, have come along pretty well.

Even with that lack of experience (LDT) the scheme has been 4 down with a LB playing the line. It's an effort to disguise the package making the opposing QB think the middle of the line is the weak spot but having one of the other LB or S come up for run coverage.

Dukes played in our nickel formation all last year. He's one of the new starters, but considering how much time we spent in the 3-3-5 he's seen quite a bit of playing time.

Last season, the strength of the team was in the defensive backfield. Even with the youth along the DL last year and not being able to get consistant pressure the LB's and DB's did their share when it came to coverage. Now, you have the experience and talent along the DL and we're breaking in some players in the defensive backfield.

In all honesty...the closest thing I can compare this years team to is probably the '96 team. When the frosh hit campus, we'll finally be back to an even playing field, numbers wise. Experience, goes to LSU and Auburn.

FWIW, I think it's Auburn's to lose. That being said...I won't find myself shocked if the two teams in ATL have 4 losses between them.

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Keith Saunders has beaten Greenwood out for that end spot.

As to the safeties...on the plays that our corners appeared to be beaten on last year...it was a breakdown of the safety positions..not the CB's.

IF, I were an opposing OC...

I'd hope my offensive line could give my QB enough time to allow him to attack the middle. (Mike, SS and FS) If we have a breakdown, it's going to be in that area...probably with a slant route or a TE coming off the on a simple hook pattern.

You mentioned loaded at RB. I'll never say our team is loaded at RB. It's about like linemen, you can never have enough. If our defense was allowed to play defense during our spring game I don't think our offense would have made positive yardage rushing.

Proven- Darby. Coffee- missing so much of the spring camp, not to mention winter and summer workouts is going to hurt him. (his injury still hasn't been accurately diagnosed, IMO...and that's the opinion of KD who had a similiar type of injury.) Johns is coming along...but still needs to learn more of a running back's technique. Still running high out of the pocket...but he's picked up the blocking side of things well.

You want a question mark RE? Will the WR corps grow a set of balls? Right now, we've really only got one that's willing to "go after the ball." Hall. Stover is made of that mentality...but still needs a lot of work on routes, etc.

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Indeed. They seem to be very quick to forget exactly how much they're losing. With the exception of Skyler and Jones (neither of whom ever really got thrown to, anyway), our recieving corp is in tact, much more experienced, and has tons of depth.