Sizing up the SEC West....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by danky, Apr 23, 2006.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Don't get me wrong, I expect their defense to make some waves in the SEC this fall.

However, you bring up a point that is worth noting. Although they are bringing in some quality WR's, one of the aspects of the spread is "blocking WR's," and that's something that takes a bit of time.

The biggest thing I've seen mentioned this spring has been the problems the OL has had adjusting to the new blocking schemes.

I dare say Arkansas will be a different team when LSU faces them vs when we catch them.

2. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

Terry and others may not agree, but I thought LSU's offense was average last year and Bamas was horrible. I don't know where they ended up ranked in offensive categories, but after Prothro went down that O stunk.

IMO Auburns receiver situation is going to be an issue, especially early, even if the young guys look promising. Its just too easy for defenses to take a single receiver away from a gameplan, and AU only has 1 with any experience. TEs can be dangerous, but with 2 new tackles how often can you run them out on pass routes? If you keep it short with the TEs defenders will start jumping those routes it seems.

I also think Arkansas' offense will struggle somewhat. I read an article in an Arkansas newspaper about bickering on that staff. It said the OC kept asking the DC to not do certain things and the DC would anyway. heh. It said the DC was not impressed with the new high school offense.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU was #4 in Total Offense in the SEC last year. Bama was #7.

4. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

LSU
    auburn
    bama
    arkansas
    ole miss
    msu

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

One thing you guys are missing...

is Alabama is getting pretty damn close to be on an even playing field with anyone in the SEC.

OK, two things.

I've watched the defense practice for several years now...and this group is faster than last years. Better, in some areas.

Without Brodie, the team is better. And yes, I could give you example after example after example.

I'm seeing 9-3 this upcoming season. Last year, I thought 7-4 coming out of spring knowing the defense would be good. This defensive line has the chance of being special.

6. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

Re: One thing you guys are missing...

You can say all you want Terry, people arent going to listen until we play a whole season. It took everyone in america a whole season and a 10 point showing my TT in the bowl game for most people to finally say we had a good D.

I'm really excited about this Dline also. I'm thinking that Gilberry will have a super-duper year! As much as I am looking forward to the LSU and AU games, I REALLY really want to see Tebow under center when we travel to Gainsville. :D

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I don't recall anyone doubting your defense. It was your offense that everyone was in shock you kept winning with. What did ya'll beat Ole Miss by? 6-3 or something? I mean it was like ya'll were allergic to the endzone.

I find it very doubtful your offense will be better without Croyle. Your offense was terrible without him when he was hurt, and still pretty bad when he was in. Yet now that he's gone, ya'll will be better? We'll see about that.

Bama should have a pretty good year by virtue of your schedule, but you won't be a real good team.

8. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

I think that I can dig up plenty of threads that say things like...

"You guys haven't played anyone yet"
    "Bama's D is overrated"
    "Florida just isn't a good team anyways"
    "You haven't played us yet"

You people will be questioning your early opinions this year. The oline will be better, our backs are better than they have been IN A LONG TIME, our WR's will have more expierence, and most of all, you folks know nothing about JPW, yet doubt his ability.

Take a look at his senior prep stats, take a look at what he did to our first team D during the A-Day game. He doesn't have the cannon that Brodie has, but he's smarter and more mobile.

The defense...Well, it's just another Bama defense. The line is deep as you can go and fast. Simpson is a Lott candidate and Jeffery Dukes will turn some heads this year.

I'm not saying that we'll win the national title or anything, but the west isn't going to be a cakewalk for you Tigers (AU AND LSU) like you think it will be.

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

1. LSU -- Finding the right combo along the O-line will ultimately decide how the season goes for us. Playing a TOUGH Auburn team on the road the 3rd game of the season could put us behind early if the O-line doesn't gel right away and Glen Dorsey doesn't have an adequate partner in the middle of the D-line. Skill positions should be a strength and Landry and Daniels will make passing deep on us hard on our opponents.

2. Auburn -- Easy to see it possible for LSU and Auburn to switch places as 1 and 2--especially if we lose at Auburn. Cox is an underrated QB who will only get better and they should still have a very talented defense. Irons is the best RB in the conference--that's a no-brainer especially with AB coming off injury.

3. 'Bama -- Yeah, they had a great year, but losing Croyle is going to prove to be too much for them.

4. Ole Miss -- I think they'll improve....even under Coach O.

5. Arkansas -- they started comin on late last season and played pretty well down the stretch

6. Miss State -- Still too far off.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Boston, I think Ole Miss will be better too - but better than Arkansas? You think the beginning of the season is going to be that bad for them? Or will Ole Miss improve that much?

Sorry to say but Mississippi St will stay the worst team in the West as long as Croom is coach.