Skip: if you want to help finance the state schools

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pitkin Tiger, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Pitkin Tiger

Pitkin Tiger Founding Member

write them a philanthropic check from your own account. We need to stop playing these state schools when they don't even appreciate the favor. These jerks are making a nuisance of themselves while trying to deny that they are jealous of the great school to their east. Let's finance someone else's weak sister and maybe they will appreciate it. BTW, when was USL's last bowl game?

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I know. LSU is doing them a favor by scheduling them. USL most unappreciative of this favor.

3. Sophandros

Sophandros Freshman

I'd rather y'all give money to schools in LA than elsewhere, however. If LSU schedules a rent-a-win, keep it in state.

Who gives a rat's ass what a bunch of fans of a school say before a game?

I'd rather see Oo-La-la improve their facilities with a payout than West Carolina.

Louisiana First.

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

From the few quotes I've seen, USL does seem appreciative of the game, although maybe I've missed something Pitkin is referring to. From an LSU fan point of view, this game is so much more interesting than the Western Carolinas of the world. I like the idea of one tough nonconference opponent, one in-state (as we're doing now), and one creampuff (preferably as the opener). I don't quite understand why we'll have a fourth nonconference every once in awhile (like this year) but read somewhere that it won't happen often, something to do with how the calendar falls for that particular year.

5. Swampfox

Swampfox Freshman

I am very happy to see our two schools play each other after so long and I really like the idea of the rotation system. I would like to see all the Louisiana 1-A schools play each other in some form of a rotation system so that we face each other at least every couple of years. That said, I do not see what "favor" has been done for us. If it is only money you are talking about we have already played at Texas A&M and travel to Arkansas in November. I wish you guys well after Saturday.

6. Turbine

Turbine Freshman

"Grantland Rice" Bowl (a famous sports writer)
    12/12/70
    USL 25 Tennessee St. 26

7. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I am also in favor of these in-state games. However many LSU supporters that are against it claim that LSU has nothing to gain, everything to lose, and the other LA schools have nothing to lose, everything to gain. The argument is that this big game gives ULL exposure to local recruits and it will help your recruiting. Had we scheduled a West Carolina State Tech A&M then we wouldn't worry about a kid from Morgan City thinking about going to school there. However ULL is another matter.

Also if I were a ULL fan I would be happy to have a road game that is both a short drive from home and also a chance o tailgate Louisiana style.

My "favor" comment stemmed from the venom on the ULL boards. If you read THIS board, you see fans that are respectful of our opponents. The only discussion we have had here is either people looking forward to a fun game, or discussion about the name issue in response to ULL's raising that issue. On the other hand, the ULL board is full of sheer hatred toward LSU. It makes me wonder why we made a big effort to start this in-state rotation out of a sense of brotherhood when ULL harbors so much hate toward us. That's my take.

8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Ellis, you sure are correct about the hatred on the USL boards. I don't really mind them calling us "State" but I hope they realize it'll never catch on outside of Kaplan. I think a lot of it stems from the "unfair" support that LSU gets, but that's how its been since the Kingfish himself was around. Some things in life aren't fair.

The fact that Cajun fans work, play, eat, and sometimes sleep with Tiger fans amplifies things a bit. There are probably more LSU fans in the Acadiana area than USL fans and that could also factor. Maybe they don't like us because of Josh Reed (Rayne), Trev Faulk (Lafayette), Dom Davis (Breaux Bridge), John Corbello (STM-Lafayette), Damien James and Kevin Faulk (Carencro), Kyle Kipps (Comeaux) all contributing in the last few years. However, major recruits like most of these guys would have gone to a big school outside of state if they didn't go to USL.

I apologize to Cajun fans for repeatedly referring to the school as USL but it's habit and all I've ever known. Maybe I'll change one day when something is decided on. I'll continue cheering for USL but I guess I'll miss how the Cajun Chicken would hit that drum three times as the crowd chanted "U.... S....L" Is the chicken still around?