Skip needs to know Tuberville is unacceptable.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Sourdoughman, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

"Dude" I don't buy that crap about sanctions. Butch had Erickson's recruits when he took over. Erickson managed to do quite well with those recruits. Then again all you do is speculate and take that as fact.

2. Dr. Torgo

Dr. Torgo Founding Member

Yeah, we never had to worry about NFL talk with him - just whether he'd get the ND job. :rofl: We could all just reserve hotel rooms in Shreveport every year for the Indy Bowl. How convenient!

Tuberville or Tommy Bowden? Hell, I'd prefer Terry Bowden to them! Hey, and then TS concessions could sell "Terry's Tater Tots".

Seriously, I think Tuberville is quite accomplished, but there's no other coach I hate more than him. Ugh... just trying to picture him in purple and g-...

Eww, I just threw up in my mouth a little!

3. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

You need to buy it. The scandal-ridden tenure of Dennis Erickson left the U at a pretty low mark, and the NCAA gutted what was left. Butch Davis rebuilt the program AND cleaned up Miami's image, booting many players off the team and doling out suspensions like they were candy. He did it the hard way, and the right way, and that's why it took him so long. And the national championship team in 2001-02 was HIS team, with HIS recruits. Anyone, even Larry Coker, will tell you that. Coker was just told not to screw it up, and he managed that.

Everybody likes to say, "well, Miami is such a great program, the name just sells itself, and no coach can truly take credit for the talent they acquire there."

Would you say the same about Notre Dame? How about Nebraska? Penn State? Washington? Alabama? UCLA? Or one of the other half-dozen great dynasties of yesteryear that have fallen on hard times lately. This is the new age of parity in college football. A name on a jersey will not sell itself anymore; you either put the work in to be a super-power, and hire a super-power coach to lead you, or you will fall behind. It happened to us in the early 90s, it happened to Miami in the late 90s.

While there are other candidates I like better, I would have NO problem with Butch Davis at LSU.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

He's got one more game to go before having an undefeated season.

I can't even believe some of you would welcome Tubs here. I can't even fathom that. So far, I hate all of the candidates mentioned here. Davis, Tubs, Riley, Bowden. Does anyone really feel good about any of these? Personally, I like Romeo Crennel (Pats def. coordinator). I know that may not be the popular choice, but I would like to see our defensive dominance continue and he and Saban rely on similiar philosophies.

5. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

If Coach Nick goes, the job posting should read, "Applicants with abnormally large ears need not apply." :lol:

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

:eek:ldskule:

7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

You can add games against FSU and Florida every year with the game against VT and their schedule stays more difficult that what AU plays. Also, you might want to look up the last few NFL drafts to see the players that Butch recruited. Just the first round is enough.

Hiring Tuberville would be like the FSU AD hiring Steve Spurrier this last go round.

8. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Just to let you know...Miami does not play Florida in the regular season. They played in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago...(and will play them this year in the Peach). But other than that, Miami only plays FSU and the Big East schedule.

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I don't buy that this is about Sexton trying to make more money for himself. I mean really if Nick makes 2.5 mil and goes to 4 mil in Miami and Sexton takes his 10% waht is 150 K to a guy like Jimmy Sexton. Not a hill of beans.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I've read that agents typically only get 3-4%, so those numbers you guys are sprouting out are a little high. The article, posted here on TF i believe, said it's just what we've all grown up thinking - that agents make 10%. Still, 4% of 4 to 5 million sounds better than 4% of 3 million to me.