Skull cleaned

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Dec 6, 2016.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Finally got around to cleaning the skull from the 9 point I killed opening day. Still gotten whiten and think I am gonna make some cedar plaques to hang a few with. Got several pieces of cedar at the cabin from when built my porch on it. Cut the cedars there around the cabin to make the posts for the roof and have 8-10 pieces from cutting them to length laying around. Think I can rip them on the table saw into 3-4" planks and will be some decent lookin backgrounds. Got some hung already on cypress and lightered knot so will add a little more variety too.
    [​IMG]

LSUTiga, Tiger in NC and KyleK like this.
  2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

jval, what's the rule with points on a rack? I know genetics, nutrition and age are the three main determining factors but in general. For example, is there any chance a 9 point could have a symmetrical rack and be a 10 the next? Does a four become a 6?

3. jvalhenson

Nah there's no set "rule" on that. A spike can be a spike again, or a 4 6 8 or whatever. A 7 can become a 6 and a 9 can be a 10 or 8 or anything else. All about when they get the right nutrition. Body will naturally put the nutrients in the important places first and whatever is left over goes to horns. They get the right food at the right times and they will grow to whatever their genetics allows. Inadequate food and they horns get smaller so one year a buck could be a heavy wide 10 point and the next he could be a scraggly lookin 7. Then you have age and once they pass a certain point they start to decline as we all do.

4. jvalhenson

Finally cut a piece of scrap cedar into a plaque for this one and for it hung up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LSUTiga likes this.
  5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Nice!

6. jvalhenson

Came out ok for a piece of scrap ripped with a chain saw anyways. Very little effort into it