Slow deer season so far

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Jan 6, 2015.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Past few years have been great so it makes it feel like this year is really slow but really its prob more about average when I really look back at it so far. I have gotten to kill 2 8 points both just solid legal bucks nothing to brag worthy. Brother has gotten 2 8s as well but same story on size. Sister-in-law a 9 and a 7 but still again just average size. Dad also got 2 a 9 and an 8 but there again nothing overly big. Buddy came and hunted a couple days and I put him in a stand that I had been wanting to hunt but couldnt drag myself away from my usual areas and of course he knocked down the best one of our group a 17.5 inch wide heavy horned 7 point. Have seen more smaller borderline legal bucks this year than ever before so the future looks good just not getting on the better ones this year yet. All of this on public land. Only pics I have right now are of one my 8s and my buddies 7. Will try to get some of the others later on. Def not the best year but cant complain to much either with 9 solid bucks all from public ground just not near as good as we have done the past few years as far as bigger bucks. Still plenty time left to hopefully get on a bigger one.

Attached Files:

titoabad1 likes this.
  2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

first ones a monster.

3. jvalhenson

nah just a solid 7. good mass and width but no tines or tine length. Not a very big deer either only 155lbs which is about average for the area. That said as much as I am glad my buddy got him....this is his first buck in 3 years and only 3rd one ever........cant help but have a little part of me wishes I would have hunted that stand and maybe(not likely) got a crack at him first but he really deserved to get a good one with all the crap he has been through the past couple years especially with missing a full season to almost dying from pneumonia.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Looks like a monster to me too. You spoiled. ;)

5. jvalhenson

Maybe so. Was just talkin about that while we were boning out 4 of the deer this evenin. Should be thrilled to get anything being we hunt heavily pressured public land but with the past few years being so good expectations naturally increased a little.

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Wow! If you're doing that on public land I'm even more impressed...though not surprised. I think I once referred to you as a modern day Daniel Boone, right? :D

7. jvalhenson

Well it's def not easy. Put a lot of miles on the boots and hours in the stand and occasionally burn a lot of gas heading dogs but it usually pays off eventually. I have 2 cabins one down here that I hunt private land but not many deer. Other is further north and has way better deer but only own 10 acres surrounded by thousands of public that is all good hunting.

8. jvalhenson

Was able to head back to my cabin this weekend for one last try and wound up with a pretty good 8. First pic is the other one I didn't have a pic of before and second is from this weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]