Slow time - mythical champions tournament

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by houtiger, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

FYI, the six games were over the last four years. Not the best of facts, I agree... but given you're using no facts, some facts work for me......

.... Damn, and I coulda sworn they shut out Auburn, at Auburn, 23 zip, a few years ago. Pray tell how one does that with no defense.:shock: :shock: :dis: :dis:

2. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Twisted,

I can just about guarantee that your statements were made out of blind ignorance and what you've heard rather than solid facts. I tell you what, you provide solid facts to your claim and I'll do the same.

3. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Let's take common opponents:

LSU 2003 gave up 7 points to Auburn and 13 points to Arizona. (granted it was the second team)

USC 2003 gives up 0 points to an Auburn team that averaged 24 points in SEC play and gave up 0 to Arizona.
    -------------------------------------------------------

LSU 2004 gives up 21 points to Oregon St.

USC 2004 gives up 20 points to Oregon St. (pretty comparible wouldn't you say)
    --------------------------------------------------------

LSU 2005 gives up 17 points to Arkansas

USC 2005 also gives up 17 points to Arkansas (pretty even if you ask me)

Looks pretty even to me.

4. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Some more food for your thought. Let's take the year in question, 2003. Let's take the powerhouse defenses of that year which would be LSU and UGA and we'll throw in Bama and UT for fun. LSU (SEC powerhouse defense) gives up 7 to Auburn. UGA (SEC powerhouse defense) also gives up 7 to Auburn. Bama gave up 23 points to Auburn. UT gave up 28 points to Auburn.

Now let's take a look at the so called "no defense" team called USC. In 2003 (as stated in previous post) USC SHUT OUT AUBURN.

You mean to tell me that none of the defensive powerhouse teams in the conference that you claim plays much more solid defense than USC, could shut out Auburn, but USC managed to?

That's about as elementary I could have put it.

5. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Good post. While we don't like USC because we feel they over-reacted to being named AP champs, like it was just as good as BCS champs (it's not just as good), let us not lose our objectivity and claim they were nothing. They were a very good team, I think we should have played them for the title. They were better than Okla. in 03 and in 04. The only aberation I'll point out in your comparison is USC played Auburn in the first game of the season I think, and a lot can change by mid year. I think Auburn came out and stunk up the place week one, they got better as the season went, as good teams do. But I don't think USC would go undefeated for 3 years in the SEC, facing LSU, Auburn, Bama, Ga., Fla. and Tenn, or 4 out of that 6 each year. Does anyone?

6. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

Here's another statistical tid-bit. 2005 common opponent Arizona State:

The Sun Devils vs. LSU-- 31 points and 560 total yards

The Sun Devils vs. USC-- 20 points and 415 total yards

It's official. USC has the worst defense in Division IA. There should be some kind of mercy rule spotting the Trojans 20 points to start every game in order to make up for this shoddy team D.:wink:

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I don't think they could either, but USC went two years in their conference undefeated, not three. Given Auburn has only one conference loss in two years (20-17 to LSU), why would it be out of the realm of possibility for USC to run the table two years running in the SEC?

(I only posted this so Tirk could give me another red dot.:hihi: )

8. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

I'm so sick of hearing about how every SEC team would go undefeated if given a Pac-10 Schedule. That league has explosive, inventive, wide-open offenses that can score 30+ points every time out. Remember what Florida did to SEC defenses in the 90s with the spread offense? That sh** is hard to shut down.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Shutting out that Auburn team at the begining of '03, isn't as big of an accomplishment as you guys are giving them credit for. Georgia Tech held them to only 3 pts the next week. Auburn stumbled out of the gates, and choked it up like they always do when highly ranked. In '03, USC shut out 2 opponents (Auburn and Arizona) other than that, EVERYONE they played scored 14 or more points. LSU on the other hand only allowed 14 points TWICE. USC allowed 20 or more points 6 times while LSU did that only once. In fact, USC gave up 85 more points than LSU did that season, despite playing only 13 games while LSU played 14. Oklahome gave up 25 fewer points than USC, and they also played an extra game. So IMO it's acurate to say that USC defense was weaker than LSU or OU that season.

10. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

True. I think the reaction was to a post that said USC never had a defense... not that they were better than LSU in 03.