Smoke....Brady......Miles.....the jury waits

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gerryv, Jun 16, 2005.

1. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

how right you are.. you can only blame smoke for so much, then the rest lies on the team...

2. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

I agree, the coach does matter.

he makes the decisions. and while he made some pretty bad ones this year,
    He wasn't out there pitching or hitting... or making so many errors for that matter...

see my point?

3. TD TIGER

TD TIGER Founding Member

What a joke. I guess the Florida Marlins should never have won the World Series, or the Carolina Panthers should give up all hope of going to the Super Bowl, or man should have never set foot on the moon.

What a lousy excuse. I never understood you until now, but now I do. YOU are the one that is happy when basketball loses....it proves YOUR point that we shouldn't compete for championships....and that is why you are satisfied.

gerryv - To answer your question about Brady, some of the complaints are as follows:

Lack of fundamentals and execution on offense.
    Inability to successfully recruit for positions of need (discounting a transfer that will be eligible in 2 years)
    Inability to deliver in the post season (save one Sweet Sixteen appearance in which we barely, and I mean barely escaped a first round exit)
    ATTRITION
    A general lack of player improvement over their careers under JB.
    Padding a win-loss record by poor scheduling when there should be a concentration on an increased level of competition.

Those are some of many things, although not everyone is upset by being a decent team every 3 or 4 years, so I guess he shouldn't really be in your discussion.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

disagree. they play very sound basketball usually.

agree. this has been a lingering problem and much is due to:

namely, point guard

disagree but the blowouts made it look much worse and it was.

definitely an issue.

point guard looms its ugly head.

5. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Had it not been for a broken thumb on the shooting hand of Macklin I think LSU had as good of shot as any of the other 3 teams that year. No way were they 2 notches below.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

7. TD TIGER

TD TIGER Founding Member

No, your beef is with those who realize weaknesses in the basketball team and program and then discuss them publicly on a board, and apparently it's with people who have expectations and want to see a successful program...regardless of some precedent or history, even when history says we can be successful.

And why place the burden on Brady? Are you kidding? He ACCEPTED the head coaching job at LSU. He ACCEPTED the head coaching job knowing the state of the program almost a DECADE ago. And now you are going to tell me he ACCEPTED that job with the intent of competing for the top 3 spots in the SEC West? Maybe you should go talk to the man himself and see if he doesn't want to compete for a National Championship.

And most importantly, if John Brady is ever fired as the head basketball coach at LSU (which I don't think will happen under Skip's watch), it won't be because he never won a National Championship, it will be because the direction of the program is still as stagnant as it was 3-4 years ago when the probationary honeymoon expired, and because the level of success is not equal to the level of talent that has come through the system.

In his second year at LSU, John Brady himself told me something close to the following (paraphrased) "Right now, I'm in the honeymoon period, and mine is longer than most coaches due to the probation, but I've got to start getting difference makers in here and we've got to get a lot better. If I can get a few of those players in here, then we will be able to compete on a national level and in the tournament. If not, watch out, because that honeymoon will be over quickly and the fans will be calling for my head." That was roughly 6 years ago, so I'm sure I butchered the quote pretty well, and he talked a lot more about it than what I just stated. I don't know what that tells you, but to me it says that based on his own expectations, he's lasted a lot longer than he ever thought he would based on his team's performances.

8. SabanFan

If LSU wins the basketball NC, I will take my lumps. But it's never going to happen regardless of who's coaching. It's just never going to happen here. Sorry, but, it's true.

Frankly, I don't give a damn whether Brady gets tossed or not. I just like arguing with people who think they know everything when, in fact, they know precious little.

9. TD TIGER

TD TIGER Founding Member

Spoken like a true hypocrite! Your holier-than-thou attitude is very tiresome.

10. SabanFan

It is a burden.