Smokers 1, Gov. Edith Bunker, 0

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by G_MAN113, Jun 14, 2005.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

John Breaux would probably be an excellent governor.

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I think that winning would be a cake walk for him, too. I think he's been a senator longer than I've been alive.

3. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Interesting. I thought he was an Edwards clone when he was first elected to the House in the early 70s. Unlike Edwards, I came to like him. His service in Washington and connections made as a result of that service might be good for Louisiana were he elected.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Breaux is a Democrat, so I don't see him entering the Governor's race when the incumbent is a Democrat. That would only split the Democratic party in the state.

But if he did, I think he would easily win...

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Being that this is an open primary state, and other Democrats will surely enter the race, I don't think splitting the party is a real issue. Especially when
    it becomes more and more obvious every day that this woman is in over her head. There's no way that she's any more than a one-termer, so the state
    Democratic Party may see Breaux as an opportunity to at least keep the Governor's mansion in Democrat hands.

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Don't disagree with that, but it would certainly put the state Democratic Party in a very difficult position of not supporting the incumbent. I'm sure there would be disagreement within the party over this issue, as they would have to choose one over the other. Breaux seems like a team player and may not want to put his party in this difficult position.

I've not seen any approval rating numbers on Blanco, but I think the only way Breaux considers running is if the numbers are low and Blanco's chance of winning re-election is in jeopardy.

Personally, I'd like to see Breaux run...

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Way better him than Mitch Landrieu, whom I would bet wouldn't have any compunction whatsoever about putting the state Democratic Party in a bind.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

my girlfriend used to be a student worker for blanco when she was lt. gov. i used to go over to blanco's office and talk to mrs blanco pretty often. she liked me. she was nice. this has nothing to do with anything.